  1. My 10 year old XP PC, now used in my shed, crashed recently and I've just
    re-installed Windows XP. Could someone please advise what driver I need
    for my graphics card, which is a "64 MB Nvidia Geoforce MX"?

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 6, 2013

  2. Terry Pinnell

    Chris S. Guest

    All here:
    http://www.geforce.com/drivers

    Chris

    Chris S., Jun 6, 2013

  3. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Guest

    On the NVidia site, the trick is to select "legacy" as the card type.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

    Version: 93.71 WHQL
    Release Date: November 2, 2006
    Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Media Center Edition
    Language: U.S. English
    File Size: 40.5 MB

    You also need a chipset driver, for the AGP slot. Names for the
    driver would be 4in1 or Hyperion.

    http://www.viaarena.com/ViaDisplayDrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=1&CatID=1070&lang=en-GB

    Version 5.24A of the Hyperion Pro drivers includes the following components:
    INF V3.10A
    AGP V4.60A
    V-RAID V5.80
    RAID Tools v5.85
    VIA IDE Falcon Storage Device driver v2.80A

    And lastly, some version of DirectX 9c.

    Due to the age of the hardware, it is possible some version
    of these is already present.

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 6, 2013
  4. Thanks a bunch, Paul, that's very helpful.

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 6, 2013
  5. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Guest

    I screwed up.

    You have A7A266-E and an ALI chipset, not VIA. I don't
    know where I got that idea. For ALI, you're pretty
    well stuck with whatever Asus offered (might be too hard
    to track down a file from the original source).

    There is ALi AGP miniport driver 1.90 English here,
    from 2002.07.10. An AGP driver, helps satisfy the
    video card driver, when it expected to be talking
    to an AGP driver.

    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10

    If you try to install the VIA Hyperion, it should refuse it...

    Paul

    Paul, Jun 6, 2013
  6. Thanks for the follow-up, Paul.

    But you're way ahead of me technically on this stuff! I was hoping to get
    just a single no-brainer link to an Nvidia driver. I'd then install it in
    routine fashion to see if it gave me a 'better' experience than whatever
    the Window XP Home has installed by default, particularly in its range of
    options for resolution.

    Terry Pinnell, Jun 7, 2013
  7. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Guest

    OK, well my experience is, the driver stack is sensitive to its
    dependencies.

    I've had video drivers, that needed a certain minimum version of
    DirectX installed first. In some cases, they install it for you
    (when you use the driver CD that came with the video card).

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Directx

    DirectX 9.0c 4.09.00.0904
    DirectX - bimonthly updates Latest version: June 2010

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

    DirectX is a bit weird, in that each of the "updates" can contain
    a specific file for that release, and they seem to be "accumulative".
    If you downloaded and installed everything from the year 2004
    onwards, you end up with more files installed than if using just
    the very last one. And some games, depend on a specific year and month
    of installation (i.e. needing something in the file of that particular
    update). I hardly call this a "release control system", when they
    all have the same release number 4.09.00.0904, and yet different
    users can have a different collection of the "separate" files.

    In any case, if you're not a game player, this hardly matters, Your
    job is to make the other software happy. Grab the "id-8109" link and
    hope for the best. The reason I say hope for the best, is Microsoft
    has a nasty habit of labeling a download as "for WinXP", you get
    it and then discover it's only for Vista or later. Very annoying.

    *******

    The NVidia (or ATI) drivers will not be happy unless the pre-requisites
    are loaded first. In other words, the software stack, enforces the
    dependencies. In the case of ATI, they need .NET 2.0 for the control
    panel to work. I don't know about NVidia in this case.

    The AGP driver should be there as well.

    The driver stack will not instantiate unless all the elements for
    it are present, so the software stack kinda enforces this for you.
    If you haven't met one of the dependencies, you'll find out
    soon enough.

    *******

    If we look at this one, this is your NVidia driver.

    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_93.71_2.html

    Under the products supported tab, you can see:

    GeForce2 MX
    GeForce2 MX 400

    So we know your card is in the list. And, the driver is listed
    as WinXP/Win2K.

    Give that download a try. If you can't get it to install,
    review your DirectX. (In some cases, what we think is a
    WinXP DirectX driver on the Microsoft site, is actually
    only for a later OS leading to a lot of "tail-chasing".
    The Microsoft end of things, is a never-ending load of fun.)

    In Start : Run, try typing "dxdiag" without the quotes, as
    dxdiag is the program that lists the contents of the DirectX
    subsystem. It should have some release information shown.

    The ALI AGP Miniport, is for changing the Device Manager
    entry for the video card slot, to AGP, and supporting things
    like the AGP GART.

    http://support.asus.com/Download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A7A266-E&p=1&s=10

    The GART is described here. It's a way for the OS to map more
    memory, for the video card to use. Memory for textures,
    is stored in the video card memory, but a chunk of system
    memory can be used as well (allocated at runtime). The
    AGP Miniport may be part of that bit of it. The "aperture",
    is a setting you can see in the BIOS. The aperture setting
    may be in the BIOS, to allow some address space to be allocated
    for it.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graphics_address_remapping_table

    To test I've done it right. I load this benchmark. If this
    benchmark (40MB) does not complain about DirectX at all,
    and you see the benchmark run to completion and give you
    a performance number, then you've done a good job on
    the installation of the three items named above (four
    items if you include the .NET 2.0 dependency of ATI
    video cards).

    "3Dmark 2001 SE (Build 330)"
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/3dmark_2001.html

    That is listed as shareware, but it doesn't nag you at
    all. And can be un-installed after one test run if you want.
    For me, it's basically a proof I did the job right (on
    my older, AGP systems). I prefer that version, because
    it is only a 40MB download or so, whereas some of the
    later versions can be around 500MB for all the textures
    they use. It's a relatively lightweight download.

    I did have one other benchmark, which is only a 4MB
    download, but it doesn't appear to be anywhere near
    as challenging for the hardware. For that one, it's
    almost like watching a bad movie.

    On older systems, that benchmark was handy for tweaking,
    for comparing video card driver versions and so on.
    I think some people may even have tuned their system
    overclocks, to get as high a 3DMark value as possible.
    So at one time, using a copy of that was all part of the
    tuneup fun. In this case, I'm recommending it, just
    to prove everything is installed properly.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 7, 2013
  8. Terry Pinnell

    ~misfit~ Guest

    [Snip in-depth explaination of drivers needed and links to their locations]
    Paul is way ahead of most people 'technically', including 95% of 'computer
    techs'. He has more knowledge of older systems than most 'techs' would care
    to learn (as there's no money in it).

    However the trait that seperates him from the other techs is his generosity
    with his time and expertise and his selflessness. For the many years that
    I've been reading and posting in the hardware groups he is consistantly
    ready to promptly offer accurate advice that you likely couldn't pay for if
    you wanted to. Most 'techs' would just tell you to dump that 'old box of
    bits' and but a new one (through them so they make $$$).

    I hate the whole throw-away modern philosophy and think that equipment
    should be kept going as long as it's useful. The problem is finding people
    who not only have the requisite knowldge but who are willing to put in the
    time to hunt down all of the drivers and links for you. Or at least it
    *WOULD* be a problem if Paul didn't do it free of charge right here in the
    alt.hardware groups.

    Paul, I know a lot of people *do* thank you but I don't think most of them
    realise how much work you put into it and how much of your time - and you've
    been doing it for years! I'd just like to say that I hope that the
    universe - Karma - is gatting your salary and that you're 'paid' as much as
    you're worth. :)

    All the very best to you and your loved ones,
    Shaun Stephens.

    ~misfit~, Jul 16, 2013
  9. Terry Pinnell

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "getting" - damn typo ^^^ :-/
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)
    [Sent from my OrbitalT ocular implant interface.]

    ~misfit~, Jul 17, 2013
  10. Terry Pinnell

    Paul Guest

    The person asking the questions does all the work.

    And if I wasn't doing this, I'd be playing video games :)

    Paul

    Paul, Jul 17, 2013
  11. Terry Pinnell

    ~misfit~ Guest