Drivers and manual for the A8AE (AKA Compaq Presario SR1710NX) ?

Discussion in 'Asus' started by Dick Malchik, Jan 16, 2006.

  1. Dick Malchik

    Dick Malchik Guest

    Can any of you ASUS guru's point me to the correct site?

    At POST,

    Phoenix v6.00PG

    c 2005 HP Rev 3.13

    11/15/2005-RS482-SB400-Amberine-00

    I picked up one of these at a CompUSA clearance yesterday, Sunday. The
    total with "mods" after rebates was about $225. I put in a GB of
    generic RAM, and transferred my XP-Pro/SP2 from an old 500 mHz Celeron
    PC. After these two simple mods, this sucker runs great!

    ASUS's site does not have this model listed by 'A8AE' or anything
    close. I'd like to find a manual, and drivers.

    For drivers, specifically "SM Bus Controller" drivers for XP-SP2

    Thanks
    Rich

    Dick Malchik, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Dick Malchik

    Rob Guest

    Rich,
    My experience with Compaq/HP products is .... well I won't say it here!
    Most all the stuff is proprietary. This board, although built by Asus,
    was most likely built specifically for Compaq, hence the -LE(Limited
    Edition) after the A8AE. Consequently, any support is on Compaq's
    site,not Asus. You can find some updates from individual chip makers,
    i.e Realtek,VIA and also it's possible the chipset drivers on ATI's
    website might give you some help. Here's a link:
    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293
    It will take some work with Google to find out about more: HTH!
    Rob

    Rob, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Steven Hilgendorf, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Dick Malchik

    Paul Guest

    The "Amberine" OEM board is mentioned here:

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?cc=us&docname=c00496044&lc=en

    As you note, the board uses RS482 and SB400, both chips from ATI.
    RS482 is termed "ATI Express200 family", a term used to refer to
    more than one Northbridge. According to this, the RS482 is a
    die shrink of the RS480:

    http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2430

    There doesn't appear to be a direct equivalent of this board
    on the Asus site. It would appear for each retail motherboard
    featuring Express200 chipset, that Asus used a ULI Southbridge.
    This gets around a small performance problem with USB2 on
    the SB400.

    You can go to the ATI web site, to get drivers. The Southbridge
    driver package has an SMBUS entry in it. You'll need at least
    the display driver to make any integrated graphics work in accelerated
    mode. The Catalyst Control Center needs ".NET", which would be another
    download from Microsoft if you don't already have it. (I don't
    know what CCC would do for you with respect to the RS482.) The
    network driver is in the Southbridge package. The VT6307 should
    have a driver in Windows.

    https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&folderID=293

    If that is a Realtek AC97 chip on there (it is hard to make out
    in the line drawing), then an AC97 driver is here. It may take
    more than one file from here, to complete the job. Try just the
    driver first, and if you don't have a mixer panel, then try the
    AVRack next.

    http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/dlac97-2.aspx?lineid=5&famid=12&series=8&Software=True

    Generally what happens with respect to the Super I/O chip, is Asus
    always uses some goofy chip that they don't use on their retail
    boards. You may want to look into MBM5 (mbm.livewiredev.com) or
    speedfan (almico.com) as a means of getting hardware monitor output.
    If you look in the BIOS, and there is a BIOS page with temps, fan
    speeds, and voltages listed, then chances are it is worth looking
    into MBM5 or Speedfan. There is no particular reason to expect
    Asus Probe or Asus Probe II to be able to read that Super I/O chip -
    I expect they use an off-brand chip to make life harder for the
    end-user, or only allow some HP/Compaq utility to read out the
    info. Since I cannot read the chip number, I don't even know what
    it is. Normally the chips used are made by Winbond or ITEusa.com

    Have fun,
    Paul

    Paul, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Dick Malchik

    Dick Malchik Guest

    Rob,
    Thanks. THis is what I was thinking... I was hoping for better news.
    Rich

    Dick Malchik, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Dick Malchik

    Dick Malchik Guest

    Paul,

    A lot of real good information! THank you, I'll get to it shortly.

    Rich

    Dick Malchik, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Dick Malchik

    wbervoets

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2012
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Belgium
    fyi, the latest BIOS for this HP/Compaq motherboard made by ASUS is the A8AE-LE BIOS v3.15. It can be downloaded at www . wimsbios . com /biosdownload-awdf.jsp?id=5
    You can also find 3.14 BIOS there

    wbervoets, Aug 15, 2012