Dropped Toshiba Laptop won't go past initial boot screen

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by Fletcher, Nov 26, 2007.

  1. Fletcher

    Fletcher Guest

    Hi all,

    I was sitting on the couch with my brother the other day and when I
    stood up his foot happened to be on my computer power cord and it was
    jerked out of my hands and fell flat on the floor. It was on and
    remained on at that point. I turned if off to travel the next day,
    when I returned to my home and attempted to turn on the computer it
    got through about 60-80% of the initial boot and then just sat still.
    Wouldn't do anything.

    I was just hoping that someone might have a suggestion as to what the
    problem would be, and would post their ideas here. Any help would be
    greatly appreciated. Anything to keep from spending money to fix it
    (poor college student here).

    Thanks in advance,

    FPWL

    Fletcher, Nov 26, 2007

  2. Fletcher

    iws Guest

    What do you mean by initial boot? Does it actually start loading the O.S. or
    does it stop before then? If it actually starts loading the O.S. then you
    might try getting into safe mode. You might also try booting from a bootable
    cd. If none of that is possible, try re-seating the memory. Does the hard
    drive sound like it's coming up to speed?

    iws, Nov 26, 2007

  3. Fletcher

    Woody Guest

    You need to disassemble it and find what has been unseated. Harddrive and
    memory are fairly easy. Processor will take some work

    Woody, Nov 26, 2007
  4. Fletcher

    BillW50 Guest

    In Woody typed:
    Yes others mentioned that something has came loose like hard drive,
    memory, etc. This is all true and it is quite possible. But it also
    sounds like a hard drive crash to me. Meaning when the laptop hit the
    floor, the head dug into the platter. Thus the hard drive now has some
    scratches on the platter and those areas are no longer good.

    What I would do is to run Error Checking on the hard drive. And turn on
    "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors". This could take hours to
    complete and you have to reboot the computer to start it on the OS
    partition. Good luck! :)

    BillW50, Nov 27, 2007