  1. John L

    John L Guest

    Can anybody tell me how to uncap a DLINK 300G or 300i DSL modem?

    John L, Oct 8, 2003

  2. Completely off-topic for this newsgroup, but what the heck ...

    Dunno about those modems in particular, but DSL in general cannot be
    uncapped. Since it's a dedicated line (only you on it, as compared to a
    shared cable) the Telcos slap the bandwidth/data usage measurers in the
    DSLAM, which is something that sits in their exchanges. The only way to
    uncap a DSL connection is to get access to the DSLAM module (often requires
    physical access, at least here in NZ I think), which would involve pretty
    serious/illegal effort.

    This is compared to cable modems, which can be uncapped with a bit of skill
    (though in some cases major skill, as it requires reflashing the memory of
    the modem by opening the case and hooking a programmer up to the chip).
    You'll almost certainly get caught too.

    Michael Brown, Oct 8, 2003

  3. John L

    Strontium Guest

    The capping is accomplished at the DSLAM (usually, the CO)...so, this whole
    topic is moot.

    Unless you have a buddy, at your CO, you're screwed.

    Hate to tell you, as well, Michael...they are capping Cable in the major
    metro areas now. Have been, for quite a few years. Modem hacks do not
    defeat it :( But, you are a kiwi, right? So, you might be a lucky bastid.
    They aren't quite as cynical as us americans, ........yet.

    Sorry.

    Had SBC (when they were SWBell) for 1.5yrs, 2 blocks from CO (worked fine,
    nice speed, too bad their upstream providers suck ass). Had RoadRunner for
    1.5yrs. I'm going back to cable.

    -
    Michael Brown stood up at show-n-tell, in

    Strontium, Oct 8, 2003
  4. We don't even have cable internet over here, it's ADSL or dialup :) Quite
    surprised that they can cap cable connections outside the modem though. Do
    you know (roughly) how they do it?

    Michael Brown, Oct 8, 2003
  5. John L

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Michael Brown stood up at show-n-tell, in
    rJQgb.171678$, and said:
    I would imagine it's done at some location central to a certain node, or
    even at a main hub. Hell, maybe at their routers...dunno though. Anyway,
    2Mbps down/356Kbps up is plenty for me :)

    Strontium, Oct 8, 2003
  6. Cable modems operate by downloading a CONFIG file from a TFTP server which
    has the limits described in the file. It is very possible to hack a cable
    modem and it has been done, and the cable company DOES catch you eventually.

    uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse, Oct 9, 2003
  7. John L

    Strontium Guest

    Depends on the cable company. As far as xDSL goes, not gonna happen. It's
    done at the DSLAM.

    -
    uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse stood up at show-n-tell, in

    Strontium, Oct 9, 2003
  8. Remember DSL != cable ... DSL = dedicated line, cable = shared (no DSLAM by
    definition: DSLAM = DSL access multiplexer IIRC), so unless they did traffic
    shaping on the router then I don't see how they can control an individual
    connection without help from the modem.

    Michael Brown, Oct 9, 2003
  9. John L

    Strontium Guest

    -
    Michael Brown stood up at show-n-tell, in
    FVbhb.172865$, and said:
    However you wish to define xDSL, that's fine. It's fine, in theory.
    However, what is theory (as we all should know), is not always what is in
    practice. Your 'definition' says to me that my xDSL provider was not able
    to cap me at 1.5Mbps. But, my experience speaks otherwise. Had them, for
    1.5yrs TYVM. Also, had Cable, for 1.5yrs. Cable is 'possible' to hack
    through the modem. xDSL... sorry buddy. You're grasping at straws, there.
    Take my comments, with a grain of salt. But, I've been there, have the
    T-shirt. Nice text book, though. Might make a good professor, spouting
    that crap (wait, are you one?:).

    hasta la beers
    blah

    Strontium, Oct 9, 2003
  10. Ahh, I think there was a communication breakdown :) By "individual
    connection" I was referring to one person out of many on a cable, not a
    "individual connection" as in dedicated DSL connection. DSL connections (as
    I mentioned earlier) are capped at the DSLAM, which is for all intents and
    purposes is as you say, unhackable.

    Michael Brown, Oct 10, 2003