DSL modem without routing?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Curt, Jul 16, 2004.

  1. Curt

    Curt Guest

    Hello, I'm trying to do something that is pretty uncommon - host a
    website through my DSL connection. The reason I can't use a regular
    web host like most people is that my site is based around a database
    that reflects up to the minute information as I'm working. The
    database software runs as a cgi application and generates the webpages
    for me. I've already got clearance from my DSL provider to allow this
    activity. Now my problem is that I need to select a modem/router and
    I'm finding my choices are very limited for DSL modems. Initially I
    picked out a fancy linksys router (rv082) that I'd like to use. When I
    started looking for DSL modems I found out that no one seems to make
    them anymore. I've found two brands that make DSL modems: netgear and
    alcatel. Both of which appear to only make DSL modems with routing
    already built in to the modem. Wouldn't I be asking for trouble if I
    plugged a modem/router into a router? There is no USA vendor for
    alcatel, and from my findings netgear is famous for losing the
    connection and having terrible tech support. Having my connection
    dropped at any given time is not acceptable, as this site is a tool
    for an important client who is working 24/7. My ideal setup would be a
    completely seperate modem (without routing) and the linksys router,
    but I'll pretty much go for anything that will work properly at this
    point. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a DSL modem that does not also
    have built in routing, or if anyone can recomend a dsl modem/router
    that is known to be stable I would appreciate it. Thanks

    Curt, Jul 16, 2004

  2. Curt

    Ron Cook Guest

    Ron Cook, Jul 16, 2004