Dual Boot Win XP On Macintel: Boot Camp beta from Apple

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Derek Currie, Apr 5, 2006.

  1. Derek Currie

    Derek Currie Guest

    <http://www.macintouch.com/>

    Apple today declared war on the Microsoft monopoly with Boot Camp
    Public Beta:
    <http://www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp/>

    Available as a download beginning today, Boot Camp allows users with a
    Microsoft Windows XP installation disc to install Windows XP on an
    Intel-based Mac, and once installation is complete, users can restart
    their computer to run either Mac OS X or Windows XP. Boot Camp will be a
    feature in "Leopard," Apple's next major release of Mac OS X, that will
    be previewed at Apple's Worldwide Developer Conference in August.

    "Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but
    many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on
    Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors,"
    said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of
    Worldwide Product Marketing. "We think Boot Camp makes the Mac
    even more appealing to Windows users considering making the
    switch."

    Boot Camp simplifies Windows installation on an Intel-based Mac by
    providing a simple graphical step-by-step assistant application to
    dynamically create a second partition on the hard drive for Windows, to
    burn a CD with all the necessary Windows drivers, and to install Windows
    from a Windows XP installation CD. After installation is complete, users
    can choose to run either Mac OS X or Windows when they restart their
    computer.

    The public beta of Boot Camp is available immediately as a download at
    www.apple.com/macosx/bootcamp, and is preview software licensed for use
    on a trial basis for a limited time. The final version of Boot Camp will
    be available as a feature in the upcoming Mac OS X version 10.5
    "Leopard." Apple does not provide support for installing or running Boot
    Camp and does not sell or support Microsoft Windows software. Apple
    welcomes user feedback on Boot Camp at .

    Bootcamp requires a firmware update for the Intel Mac running Windows:
    € iMac (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0
    <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/imacintelfirmwareupdate10.html>
    € MacBook Pro (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0
    <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookprointelfirmwareupdate10.h
    tml>
    € Mac mini (Intel) Firmware Update 1.0
    <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macminiintelfirmwareupdate10.html
    € Firmware Restoration CD v 1.0
    This update is used to restore the firmware of an Intel-based
    iMac (early 2006), Mac mini (early 2006), or MacBook Pro
    (early 2006) to original factory condition.
    <http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/firmwarerestorationcdv10.html>

    --
    Fortune Magazine, 11-29-05: What's your computer setup today?
    Frederick Brooks: I happily use a Macintosh. It's not been equalled for ease

    Derek Currie, Apr 5, 2006

  2. Derek Currie

    42 Guest

    How is that war on the MS monopoly? Inviting Microsoft onto Apple
    computers will only *increase MS sales* and market penetration?

    Now EVERYBODY, even Mac owners can run IE6 on Windows XP SP2...

    And in the short term MS would rather you install XP SP2 for a new Mac
    than on a Dell. Why? Because they charge Dell like 10 bucks for the
    license, but to put it on a Mac they charge YOU over one hundred at
    retail.

    Long term MS doesn't want to see OS X creep out of its marginalized
    position (and letting people go with Mac without having to lug to
    machines or forego windows entirely certainly will entice some people,
    perhaps lots of people) but Apple's got a LONG way to go get there.

    For now at least, the "Windows on Mac" community is probably going to
    prove to be a very profitable little revenue center for Microsoft.

    42, Apr 5, 2006

  3. Derek Currie

    Derek Currie Guest

    Yesterday Apple released an extensive document about Boot Camp:

    "Boot Camp Beta: Requirements, installation, and frequently asked
    questions (FAQ)"

    I consider it required reading before you attempt the installation. This
    document and the Boot Camp web page are essentially all the technical
    support Apple are going to provide for Boot Camp.

    Of particular note is how to provide Apple with feedback:

    :-D

    Derek Currie, Apr 6, 2006