    what are the benefits of Dual Channel? Do I need to change a jumper or go
    into the bios to initiate Dual Channel or is it automatically detected based
    on what slots the chips are in?

    Jack, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Jack

    Rudy Kazuti Guest

    Put them in dimm1 & dimm3 or dimm 2 & dimm 3. I just put them in the orange
    slots 1&3. Will recognize at post. You should see a message 'dual channel
    enabled'

    Rudy

    Rudy Kazuti, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Have a look here
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-7N400 Pro2 (Rev 2.0).htm

    Dual Channel supposedly increases the memory bandwidth - I haven't really
    noticed much difference.

    Use same coloured slots if you have 2 memory sticks - normally 1 & 3. If
    you want to use more than 2, read the manual - the config is different for
    single sided sticks vs dual sided ones.

    Because my memory is dual sided I can run sticks in slot 1,2 and and get
    dual channel, but if I add another stick to slot 4, it goes back to single
    channel.

    good board otherwise

    Peter Seymour, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Jack

    Rudy Kazuti Guest

    Someone is reading the manual wrong. 2 sticks in 1 & 2 (A) will run as
    single channel. 2 sticks in 3 & 4 (B) will run as single channel.

    2 sticks must be run in 1&3 or 2&3 or 1&4 or 2&4 to enable the DC feature.

    You can use 1 & 2 only if you have a 3rd stick in slot 3 or 4 according to
    the manual.
    And as Peter said you have to watch your DS or SS ram.
    Rudy

    Rudy Kazuti, Feb 22, 2005
  5. Rudy is correct, there was a typo in my note which meant to say "slots 1,2
    and 3"

    Peter

    Peter Seymour, Feb 22, 2005
  6. Jack

    Rudy Kazuti Guest

    Just added another 512 module. Put it in slot 2. Now have 1, 2, &3 filled
    1.5 gig. Awesome. Autocad & Solidworks run like a dream come true.

    Rudy Kazuti, Feb 22, 2005