Dual Channel Memory on Single Channel boards?

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Rich Lowe, Aug 4, 2004.

  1. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    Rich Lowe, Aug 4, 2004

  2. Rich Lowe

    rstlne Guest

    yes
    and if you buy 2 sticks of the same memory it will probably work fine in
    dual channel boards
    It looks to me like newegg is doing this to force users to buy the dual pack
    just to get the 512m boards..

    (is this ram not overkill for that board?)

    rstlne, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Rich Lowe

    Wes Newell Guest

    Of course. It's just 2 sticks of 512M ram. There's no such thing as dual
    channel ram.
    No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    PC3700ram.

    Wes Newell, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Rich Lowe

    sleaze Guest

    Actually, ram other than generic PC3200 is quite expensive these days.

    I bought some PC4000 ram last april for $125 and it's $173 now, per
    512M stick.

    As I understand it, that Nforce3 250 motherboard can be overclocked
    with the hypertransit bus cranked WAY up, so generic PC3200 isn't
    going to do it for you.

    I wouldn't get the matched dual pack though, esp since the motherboard
    is socket 754 and single channel.

    sleaze, Aug 5, 2004
  5. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    yes
    It may be, I am trying to find good memory that will work well so that
    I can overclock my K8N Neo at a decent speed with a 1:1 ratio for the
    memory. At the same time I don't want to sacrifice a large amount of
    performance, but I also don't want to pay a much larger price for a
    little performance improvement. Any suggestions?

    Thanks,

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 5, 2004
  6. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    No way in hell would I pay that much ($336) for 2 sticks of 512M
    Could you give me other suggestions that have good performance for a
    better price? As I wrote in the other reply, I am looking for a 1:1
    ratio while still having a good overclock speed, preferably 233 or 250
    MHz. Though I could use suggestions on that too, this is my first
    home-built PC and also my first overclock...

    Thanks a ton,

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 5, 2004
  7. Rich Lowe

    Wes Newell Guest

    I always buy as fast as possible, but cheap. For my A64 I'm using some old
    PC3700 ram I had in my XP system. If I was buying for it today, I'd
    probably get cheap PC4x00 ram. Maybe the cheapest one here and not
    expecting more than PC3700 speeds (233MHz). They sure try to scare you aay
    from the cheap ones though.

    http://www.1stchoicememory.com/page103.html

    Or maybe this one.

    http://www.dvcentury.com/Merchant2/...Product_Code=88-533-1024&Category_Code=PC4200

    I'd start at picewatch.com

    Wes Newell, Aug 5, 2004
  8. I could.
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-008&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-011&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-009&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-012&depa=0

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-156-010&depa=0

    This is good ram.
    I have two sticks of PC2700 (DDR266) in my P4.
    Hm, by CPU-Z It's running @ 220.5
    By Sandra Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
    2x 220MHz (440MHz data rate)

    I have (All Components Memory) in my Athlon XP 2200 @ 2400 running more like
    3000+
    @ 2.18
    2x 168MHz (336MHz data rate)
    Timings.
    Note, 168 is also my fsb, but ppl that knows amd, they might know this.
    2.5,2,2,5 I've had it set @ 2.5,2,2,4
    I've ran it faster then this too, up around 180 or so.
    I don't remember.

    Denny. ;-)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Aug 6, 2004
  9. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    Ok guys, here is where I'm at so far. Right now I am looking at
    DDR500 unless you think I can go to DDR533 or higher with just air
    cooling. I don't really want to buy cheap value memory, I'd at least
    like reasonable CAS timings and pretty good performance, but at the
    same time the memory doesn't really need to perform beyond its specs
    very much since I plan on running it at a 1:1 ratio. I definitely
    want a brand name with posted CAS timings. Here are two that I am
    possibly looking at..

    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-146-932&depa=1

    and

    http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=85017

    One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks,

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 6, 2004
  10. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

  11. Rich Lowe

    Courseyauto Guest

    One thing I don't want to deal with is anything more than air cooling.
    I mean I know that this MB can be overclocked easily to it's max of
    300Mhz, without major cooling, but I'm not sure how much it will take.
    At the moment I've got a dual fan power supply, a top-case fan, a
    side-case fan, and a Cooler Master processor heatsink/fan (
    http://www.directron.com/accu72.html )
    ---------------------

    Your CPU will never even get close to 300FSB,with air cooling your looking at
    250 mabey 260................ I would go for 3500 ram it i will run CAS 2.0
    which is what ATHLON 64 CPU's like for best performance. Anything over 3500 and
    you most likelu wont be able to run less tha CAS 2.5,4000ram and you looking at
    CAS 3.0 or higher.

    Courseyauto, Aug 6, 2004

  12. Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
    given bad reviews on it.
    Of course, if you feel you must spend so much just to get high end ram, then
    do it.
    My point is, you don't have to. There's no need for memory that costs that
    much.

    If I ever get the money together, I might build a FX53 or FX51.
    I'm trying to get the money/credit together to do it.
    And what for ram am I going to use, of course.. More Kingmax.

    Denny. ;-)

    Dennis E Strausser Jr, Aug 6, 2004
  13. Rich Lowe

    gerry Guest

    I like the ram.

    use this one on your cpu:

    http://www.frozencpu.com/cgi-bin/frozencpu/cpu-tri-12.html

    120mm fan is the way to go. effective. quiet.

    Will cool your new ram too.

    gerry, Aug 6, 2004
  14. Rich Lowe

    @@@ Guest

    The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
    hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

    @@@, Aug 6, 2004
  15. Rich Lowe

    Courseyauto Guest

    <The trend is to drop the cpu multiplier in order to get a higher
    <hypertransit bus speed for the same peak cpu speed.

    From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.
    only the 939 pin Athlon 64 CPu's have the higher 1 gig hypertransport buss,all
    the others are 800mhz. Unless you just want to see how high you can overclock
    it, the system will perform better with lower CAS rated ram and a moderate FSB
    setting. Corsair Extra low Latency 3200 ram is execellant and will overclock
    to 450 with low Latency settings but is expensive. DOUG

    Courseyauto, Aug 6, 2004
  16. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    From what ive seen,even lowering the multplier they only run in the 260 range.

    http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2036&p=6

    They say that they easily hit the max, and think the bios limit should
    be raised. Also they were able to run DDR540 at 1:1. I only plan to
    do it to 250 though, because of cooling requirements and cost.

    I guess one reason I am having trouble is I was trying to stick with a
    1:1 ratio. Do you lose any performance by overclocking the memory
    too? I know that your timings get a bit worse, but is it better to
    buy PC3500 with low timings and overclock it to PC4000? I think that
    is what was said in one of the other posts.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 7, 2004
  17. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    Ah, Rich. The ram I pointed you to may be cheap, but few people have
    Believe me, I haven't counted it out yet. I wish it had rated timings
    though, I saw the second one had 2.5+ as its timings, and that doesn't
    tell me much :) If I were to get them, and I wanted to run the memory
    at DDR500, would you buy the DDR500 or buy lower and change the ratio?

    Thanks a bunch,

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 7, 2004
  18. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    Also, is 1GB what I should be looking at here, or should I get 512MB?
    I will be doing a bit of graphics intensive gaming, but not a whole
    lot. Movie encoding once in a while, etc.

    Thanks,

    Rich

    Rich Lowe, Aug 7, 2004
  19. Rich Lowe

    Rich Lowe Guest

    Rich Lowe, Aug 7, 2004
  20. Rich Lowe

    Ski Guest

    OK, I think I have finally found it, it's still kind of expensive but
    I'll stick with the KINGMAX PC3500
    for $85 a stick at Newegg, thanks.

    Ski
    "The only way to find out how far is too far...
    is to go there"
    (remove spleen to e-mail)

    Ski, Aug 7, 2004