Dual core Opteron vs dual core Athlon

Discussion in 'AMD Overclocking' started by Old Guy, Mar 10, 2007.

  1. Old Guy

    Old Guy Guest

    Greetings,

    I'm currently running an Athlon 4200 X2 o/c'ed to 2.6ghz. No voltage
    change from stock.

    I would like to get as much out of the system to extend its life as much
    as possible. I just upgraded my wife's computer with an Opteron 170
    2.0ghz processor from a 3700 San Diego. Big difference and it seems
    faster than my system without being overclocked. Except for the hard
    drive(s), our systems are quite similar.

    Hard drive is already there (Raptor 150). 2gig CAS2 memory. 7600GT
    video board.

    I like a very responsive system, but I'm not a gamer. I've been thinking
    of upgrading to a more robust / faster processor. An Opty 175 is a
    possibility.

    Would there be a difference in performance between the 4200 X2 and an
    Opteron 175?

    TIA

    Old Guy, Mar 10, 2007

  2. Old Guy

    Lenny_Nero Guest

    Old Guy said

    Depends if you want to spend the money for a few %, the Optys do have a
    bigger L2, unless you are running a Toledo. Your x2 looks to be the same
    as mine (I bet its an LDBFE) as I can get to 2.6 on stock volts I have
    just bumped it up to get from 2.7 to 2.8.

    I have Opteron's, but I am working with this (4200x2) right now as my best
    opty is in my DFI nF4 SLI D, which I have not got a good PSU for ATM, I
    have been looking for a 175/185 but its got to be a very good price for me
    to be bothered with the change. I am also not a game player but do a lot
    of work with video.

    L.

    Lenny_Nero, Mar 14, 2007