    the same time. Sometimes it takes 30 seconds or a minute to switch
    between a game and MS Word. Would a dual core help with this?

    Skyf

    skyf, Jul 16, 2006

  2. skyf

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    XP will take advantage of the dual core. While the applicaitons you have
    mentioned (at least the MS ones) are not multithreaded, the OS will work
    better with more apps because it can have the OE thread tree executing on 1
    core, while the game, or Word is executing on another. Once the apps are
    running, you can set an affinity for the application process to run on one,
    the other, or (try to use) both cores. Most people dont worry about that,
    and just open thier apps. by default windows will set every process affinity
    to both cores.

    Even if you arent using apps that can use both today, chances are that you
    will in the next few years. Get on the wagon now so you dont have to worry
    about it later. The thing you really want to think about is what will VISTA
    do with the dual core. XP still has a few years left in it, but at some
    point im sure you will contemplate how your rig will run the new OS's.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 16, 2006

  3. skyf

    Leythos Guest

    I have a standard P4/3.2Ghz machine with Hyper threading, 2GB RAM, and
    an 128MB AGP 8x video card and play a couple games, Counter Strike,
    Guild Wars, etc...

    I bought a cheap Dual Core 2.8Ghz CPU, not HyperThreaded, a cheap $50
    PCIx video card, and 3GB RAM (I had alternative uses than games) and was
    able to play the games at the same level of FPS as the high-end P4 for
    much less costs.

    I took the Dual Core 2.8Ghz machine and installed Windows 2003 Server
    standard and was able to support 15 users via Terminal Services running
    a intensive application and all of their normal MS Office apps - no one
    could tell the difference between the Terminal connection and their
    normal P4 computer (they have 3.0+Ghz machines, 2GB RAM, etc...).

    My choice from this point forward will be Dual Core CPU's and trying to
    get Dual Core + Hyper Threading. I'm looking to build my first personal
    workstation with Dual Dual Core CPU's (just to have one).

    Switching between a game and Office could be a number of things, Drive
    performance, RAM, etc... Dual CPU's will always help to some extent, but
    I can't tell you how much.

    Leythos, Jul 16, 2006
  4. skyf

    journey Guest

    I am going to try to stay with XP for at least 5 years. PC's have
    finally gotten to the point where I don't see a need to upgrade. I
    know, famous last words. MS will hook something into Vista that I
    will probably want. I love the PC's I have now. They are fast enough
    and doggonit people like them (obscure reference to Stuart Smalley).

    journey, Jul 16, 2006
  5. skyf

    Tom Lake Guest

    If you wait until July 27, the Core 2 Duo will be widely available.
    That CPU uses less power than even AMD and runs cooler.

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Jul 16, 2006
  6. For workstation/server use I'd recommend checking out an Opteron system
    as well. At my previous job we had some Opteron workstations from Sun,
    and they were smoking fast (damn well better be for the price which was
    in the 6-8 grand range). You can build a comparable white box for much
    cheaper (about 5G for the one that cost 8G), and even run Solaris on it
    for free. I'm quite curious to see how the new Core Duo 2's compare to
    Opterons, they seem to give the FX a run for it's money.

    Nicholas Andrade, Jul 16, 2006
  7. skyf

    Guest Guest

    Too much heat? "What the hell difference does that make. What, you mean he
    would have to get a larger air conditioning unit in his house, or maybe keep
    putting bags of ice on top of the cpu???

    Dell may need some help in customer service, but do you think that they are
    that stupid that they would design a system that would melt?

    I don't know, call me crazy but if a processor puts out more heat... than
    maybe they would put more fans in, or more air holes, or more heat sinks,
    etc...

    If that's what your friend thinks, than I suggest he buy only cars with V4's
    in them, because the V8's probably put out way too much heat to work
    properly.

    As for dual core, it all depends on how fast and efficient you want your
    computer to be. I'm not going to guess at which programs function better or
    not with dual core, but I will make it real simple, without using any tech
    talk or anything that I don't know anything about (like most others that
    post to newsgroups do) I'm sure that a processor that can handle two tasks
    simultaneously instead of only one is how shall I say... better!

    I know I'm going out on a limb here, but my advice has always been to get
    the fastest, biggest, best computer that you can afford on the day that you
    buy it. It will be obsoleted before it is shipped, but you won't have
    to question whether you should have bought a better one, only whether you
    should have waited that extra day :)

    Guest, Jul 16, 2006
  8. skyf

    Nota Clu Guest

    The reviews of Intel's Conroe chip (now Core 2 Duo) state 20% faster than
    AMD's fastest (FX-62) with power consumption down to 65 watts (75 for the
    top of the line Core Duo 2).
    Wait till release of Core 2 Duo to buy it or for massive price cuts by AMD.

    Nota Clu, Jul 16, 2006