Dual Core vs P4

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Hank Arnold, Mar 18, 2006.

  1. Hank Arnold

    journey Guest

    Hi, good memory. I kept the bloatware on the new 630m laptop. The
    one in which I was talking about MP3's is my E510 desktop. I'll see
    what's going on the next time it happens. I sometimes don't just
    multi-task, I multi-multi-multi-task. I'm OK with any choppiness
    though, I'm just glad to be part of the 21st century able to enjoy all
    this stuff. Totally mind-boggling, and we haven't seen nothin' yet.

    I really love the 630m. I was in a meeting yesterday for over an hour
    and a half, I didn't have the display shut off automatically (I have
    that set up now though) so it was on the whole time, and I don't think
    I dimmed it. I took occasional notes but not that many.

    At the end of the meeting, the battery level was still at 75%. This
    is exaclty what I wanted, a capable laptop with good keyboard and high
    battery life.

    I think I'm going to uninstall the bloatware today. I just hope I
    don't have problems like the infinite sonic-install loop.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006

  2. Hank Arnold

    Jay B Guest

    i knew you werent having the problem with the new laptop, or you
    probably would have sent it back already. lol.
    let me know if you need any help unisntalling any of that stuff.
    you can even post a hijack log and i can take a look at it for you.
    Jay

    Jay B, Mar 21, 2006

  3. Hank Arnold

    me Guest

    is it the same thing as the XPS 140 basically?

    me, Mar 21, 2006
  4. Hank Arnold

    journey Guest

    Hi Jay,

    You're right, it would be history already :) Fortunately I love the
    new laptop.

    Uninstalling the bloatware turned out to be fairly easy. There's a
    lot less of it on the business Inspirons, but still more than I would
    like.

    Thanks for offering the help, I'll take you up on it if needed,

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  5. Hank Arnold

    journey Guest

    As far as I know they are basically the same. There may be some extra
    service for the XPS computers. I don't know, I remember something
    about that. The XPS 140 comes with Windows Media Center edition and
    the 630m comes with Windows Home, so if you want to use your laptop to
    record TV, then the XPS comes with an OS that makes that easier.

    I love the screen, keyboard, and BATTERY LIFE. Woo hoo, I don't have
    to even think about running out of battery power. It's the perfect
    laptop to _supplement_ by desktop. If I wanted a desktop replacement
    then I'd go with the E1505 Truebrite WSXGA, and I might wait until a
    dedicated video card is offered with it.

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  6. Hank Arnold

    me Guest

    yeah that one is on sale right now

    BIG discount on it

    me, Mar 21, 2006
  7. Hank Arnold

    journey Guest

    Yes, one with dedicated graphics has some good coupons. I just
    configured a nice system just over $1,000 with the $450 coupon. A
    loaded one with extended warranties probably would be below $1,500,
    including extended battery.

    $450 off coupon is CWW3$617CT41SG
    Note: you may have to delete the $300 coupon that Dell automatically
    applies to the order before this one will work

    $750 off coupon is M$0BPCBGXQH6TR

    Go for it, good deals!

    Journey

    journey, Mar 21, 2006
  8. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Hank Arnoldwrote:
    Considering that I can get a 5150 with

    The thing is will it perform? The Precision 670 with two Dual Core
    Xeon's at 2.8Ghz and 2 to 3GB RAM will out perform ANYTHING in the
    XPS line

    Also

    It will run Windows XP X64 (64 Bit Edition - and yes you can get
    drivers for all the new stuff and run all 32-bit programs) which
    noticeably out performs Windows XP Professional

    Run two 147GB 15K RPM Seagate U320 SCSI Drives in a RAID 0 config
    which bench about 150 MB/s

    Same 7800 or 7900 GT/GTX PCIe video

    All for under 2K if you know when and where to look at Dell. The XPS
    line can't touch the performance of the Precision 670 but true it can
    be had for cheaper $$$$ The ? is, what is more important???

    PS - it is also a wonderful site to hit task manager and see (8) EIGHT
    Processors there!!!!

    JLA, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Hank Arnold

    Tom Scales Guest

    Under $2K vs. under $800 is a pretty huge difference.

    Tom Scales, Mar 23, 2006
  10. Hank Arnold

    Jay B Guest

    i agree with the speed and beauty of the xeon! and the price point is
    getting better than it used to be,
    but the user better be aware of the extra heat and noise this box will
    give off, not to mention use of electricity. i think this is all too
    much for the average user who will be sitting in a quiet room.

    i always wanted my own zeon (been selling them for years) and now that i
    have one, i'm disappointed about the heat and noise. oh well.

    Jay B, Mar 23, 2006
  11. Hank Arnold

    User N Guest

    Being curious, I just went to the Dell SB site and configured a Precision 670...

    Two dual-core 2.8GHz 2x2MB Xeons
    XP Pro, no x64 option listed
    2GB RAM
    Two 146GB U320 drives in RAID 0
    DVD+/-RW
    Cheapest graphics (64MB NVS 280)... no 7800 or 7800 variant option
    No monitor
    No sound card
    Cheapest support plan listed (3 year on-site economy)

    The total comes to $5,125 and we haven't addressed the video card, which
    depending on what you get, could be many hundreds of dollars more. Lets
    just tack on $200 for some kind of video upgrade, which brings us to $5,325.

    At $1999 said machine would be roughly 62% off. A quick Froogle suggests
    the processors alone would be worth a grand a piece. I've certainly seen deep
    discounts on Home systems and some on the SB side, but I'm more than a little
    surprised by the price you are suggesting. You didn't say anything about volume
    discounts.

    User N, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    User Nwrote:
[...]

    discounts.[/quote:e73c7d1826]

    Pricing is/was for a single system.

    It definately can be done for less than $2,000.00

    Of course there is always the option of paying the $9900.00 for the
    new Dell Renegade XPS 600.

    Wonder how these systems would perform head to head. The Renegade
    would have the Precision beat in the graphics dept, but what about
    the processor, drives, etc?

    For the price, the Precision 670 would be the way to go I would think

    JLA, Mar 24, 2006
  13. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Jay Bwrote:
[...]

    [/quote:670658c8a1][/quote:670658c8a1]

    Have one sitting here and granted it can put off some heat but in my
    opinion only someone who was very hypersensitive to such things would
    find the heat and fan noise bothersome. It is pretty quiet compared
    to some of the beasts of machines we are used to.

    As far as electricity, the dual processors use up about 300 to 400W
    most of the time by themselves (combined) while running...so take
    that - add the other components and assume you would be running the
    system 24 hours a day (which most won't) then you are looking in the
    $20 to $30.00 a month in electricity to run the thing (again at 24
    hours a day) For the normal user, this would be much less.

    JLA, Mar 24, 2006
  14. Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold Guest

    Why would I run 300GB in a RAID 0 configuration??? One drive goes and 300GB
    are in the trash....

    Hank Arnold, Mar 24, 2006
  15. Hank Arnold

    Tom Scales Guest

    Please show us a sub-$2K config. I can't get one anywhere near that price.

    Tom Scales, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Hank Arnold

    me Guest

    -spam.invalid (JLA)
    wrote:
    agree

    but why not go for dual core dell 380?

    me, Mar 24, 2006
  17. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Anonymouswrote:
    -spam.invalid (JLA)
    agree

    but why not go for dual core dell 380?[/quote:c4f619c86d]

    The Precision 380 only uses a SINGLE Pentium Type processor where the
    Precision 670 uses (2) Dual Core XEON Processor.

    A big difference there...

    JLA, Mar 24, 2006
  18. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Tom Scaleswrote:
    Have one sitting here and granted it can put off some heat but in my
    opinion only someone who was very hypersensitive to such things would
    find the heat and fan noise bothersome. It is pretty quiet compared
    to some of the beasts of machines we are used to.

    As far as electricity, the dual processors use up about 300 to 400W
    most of the time by themselves (combined) while running...so take
    that - add the other components and assume you would be running the
    system 24 hours a day (which most won't) then you are looking in the
    $20 to $30.00 a month in electricity to run the thing (again at 24
    hours a day) For the normal user, this would be much less.

    [/quote:49d895e1ba]

    Please show us a sub-$2K config. I can't get one anywhere near that
    price.[/quote:49d895e1ba]

    If you are just casually looking, you will not find a system on the
    site that will even touch that price. But as many here know, if you
    have some patience and know when and where to look - they will be
    there.

    If you are serious about getting one for that price, drop an e-mail
    over to us.

    JLA, Mar 24, 2006
  19. Hank Arnold

    me Guest

    -spam.invalid (JLA)
    wrote:
    I have a Dell 380 in front of me right now and its a
    dual core machine..... not dual CPU... but dual core

    Granted they are not Xeon cores

    me, Mar 24, 2006
  20. Hank Arnold

    User N Guest

    Perhaps all that time spent around loud/hot equipment has desensitized
    you? IIRC, TDP for Paxville is 135w and peak is 150w. That is hot
    and that is just one processor. Add another processor, a powerfull
    video card, two 15K RPM drives, the PS and everything else and you
    have some pretty serious heat being dissipated in what is little more than
    a mid-tower. There has to be at least 5 fans. Is there an additional HD
    fan? An additional card fan? For some settings I could see the heat/noise
    being tolerable, but for other settings such as a quiet SOHO where the
    machine is in a separate room without zoned cooling, I imagine many
    would be rather unhappy.

    BTW, your replies aren't threading properly and in at least some cases
    aren't quoting properly. It looks like you are posting via phpBB/newsSync
    on your website. I don't know whether it is brain dead or misconfigured or
    what, but could you look into this? To everyone outside of your forums
    at least, your messages are difficult to follow.

    User N, Mar 24, 2006