    Also you can run XP x64 and the 4GB memory limit is a thing of the
    past

    A whole different league from the Precision 680.

    JLA, Mar 25, 2006

  2. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Perhaps all that time spent around loud/hot equipment has
    desensitized
    I am using one here in a standard sized office without any special
    cooling and it is configured as previously described.

    To answer your questions, no card fan, no hard drive fan. Hard Drive
    fan is only required with over 3 drive or 4 drive configuration
    (according to Dell). Not sure when a card fan is required but only
    the PCIx video card is plugged in. The whole computer is sitting in
    a lower tower desk enclosure against a wall and a 30in Dell Flat
    Panel sitting on the desktop. There is no noticeable heat from the
    machine especially on the level you suggested

    The heat vents out of the back of the desk space and only when you put
    your hand directly at that space or inside the desk tower enclosure do
    you notice any heat.

    We did have the same concerns prior to purchasing the systems but with
    the 21-Day Dell return policy it wasn't much of a worry. If it were
    too much of a problem we would have just returned them and shelled
    out the extra couple grand for the HP Dual Dual-Core Opteron Boxes

    JLA, Mar 25, 2006

  3. Hank Arnold

    Tom Lake Guest

    The Precision 670 takes (2) Dual Core Xeon Processors (A total of 8
    How is 2 dual core processors 8 cores? A dual core processor has two cores,
    no?

    Wouldn't it be 2 x 2 = 4 cores?

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Mar 25, 2006
  4. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Tom Lakewrote:
    Ah, yes.... I apparently forgot to finish my thought on that one.

    What I meant to say is

    The 380's comes with Dual Core Pentium type processors but only ONE
    dual core pentium type processor. This gives you (2) Two Cores total
    in the machine.

    The only dual core processors you can get in a 380 are the

    Pentium D 820, 830, 840 840EE, 920, 930, 940, 950 and 955EE .

    On all of the processors except the 840EE and 955EE, hyperthreading IS
    NOT supported. The most expensive processors offered in the 380 - the
    Pentium D 840EE and 955EE support hyperthreading which gives you a
    total of (4) logical processors. The 800 Series dual cores offered
    on the 380 also only have 1MB of L2 cache per core for a total of 2MB
    of L2 cache. The 900 series dual cores have 2MB of L2 cache per core
    for a total of 4MB L2 Cache

    The Precision 670 takes (2) Dual Core Xeon Processors and they support
    hyperthreading (A total of 4 Cores and 64-bit processors to boot)
    Enable hyperthreading and you have a total of 8 logical processors.
    When viewed from the Performance Tab in Windows Task manager you
    will see 8 separate processors there. On the Dual Core Xeons you
    have 2MB of L2 Cache per core for a total 8MB of L2 cache

    On both machines you can run Windows XP x64 edition and the 4GB memory
    limit is a thing of the past. I am not sure if Dell sells the
    Precision 380 configured with Windows XP x64 but you could surely add
    it yourself. I think that Microsoft in some cases even allows a free
    upgrade from the 32-bit edition to the 64-bit edition but you only
    are allow to have one or the other. I intially started out with the
    32-Bit version of XP Professional on one of the P670 boxes and then
    switched over to the 64-bit version (Windows XP x64 Edition) There
    is a HUGE difference in the way this box performs - even with 32-bit
    applications. If you are running processors that will support
    Windows XP x64 (and you have drivers for all of your other items) the
    OS is really the only way to go - it is that much of a difference. I
    imagine Vista will be the same way.

    Overall - the Precision 670 is still steps above the Precision 380.

    JLA, Mar 25, 2006
  5. Hank Arnold

    Tom Scales Guest

    You keep saying this, but won't tell us 'when and where'. Just post it
    here -- don't ask for private emails. We'd all like to know.

    Tom Scales, Mar 26, 2006
  6. Hank Arnold

    karanjain Guest

    test checking
    If your software takes advantage of mutiprocessing, dual core is
    faster, if
    not, the 3.4GHz CPU
    will be faster.

    Tom Lake[/quote:367a10f782]

    newtest

    karanjain, Mar 31, 2006
  7. Hank Arnold

    Dave Guest

    If you do a lot of multi-tasking the dual core is an advantage. I can
    do a virus scan or video conversion and still use the computer to run
    other applications without much of an impact. Also, as dual and quad
    core machines become more prevalent you're going to see applications
    updated to take advantage of multi core processors.

    Dave
    XPS600
    Pentium D 830

    Dave, Apr 1, 2006
  8. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    User Nwrote:
    Being curious, I just went to the Dell SB site and configured a
    Precision 670...

    Two dual-core 2.8GHz 2x2MB Xeons
    XP Pro, no x64 option listed
    2GB RAM
    Two 146GB U320 drives in RAID 0
    DVD+/-RW
    Cheapest graphics (64MB NVS 280)... no 7800 or 7800 variant option
    No monitor
    No sound card
    Cheapest support plan listed (3 year on-site economy)

    The total comes to $5,125 and we haven't addressed the video card,
    which
    depending on what you get, could be many hundreds of dollars more.
    Lets
    just tack on $200 for some kind of video upgrade, which brings us to
    $5,325.

    At $1999 said machine would be roughly 62% off. A quick Froogle
    suggests
    the processors alone would be worth a grand a piece. I've certainly
    seen deep
    discounts on Home systems and some on the SB side, but I'm more than a
    little
    surprised by the price you are suggesting. You didn't say anything
    about volume
    discounts.[/quote:e73c7d1826]

    Pricing is/was for a single system.

    It definately can be done for less than $2,000.00

    Of course there is always the option of paying the $9900.00 for the
    new Dell Renegade XPS 600.

    Wonder how these systems would perform head to head. The Renegade
    would have the Precision beat in the graphics dept, but what about
    the processor, drives, etc?

    For the price, the Precision 670 would be the way to go I would think

    JLA, Apr 11, 2006
  9. Hank Arnold

    JLA Guest

    Jay Bwrote:
    i agree with the speed and beauty of the xeon! and the price point is

    The thing is will it perform? The Precision 670 with two Dual Core
    Xeon's at 2.8Ghz and 2 to 3GB RAM will out perform ANYTHING in the
    XPS line

    Also

    It will run Windows XP X64 (64 Bit Edition - and yes you can get
    drivers for all the new stuff and run all 32-bit programs) which
    noticeably out performs Windows XP Professional

    Run two 147GB 15K RPM Seagate U320 SCSI Drives in a RAID 0 config
    which bench about 150 MB/s

    Same 7800 or 7900 GT/GTX PCIe video

    All for under 2K if you know when and where to look at Dell. The XPS
    line can't touch the performance of the Precision 670 but true it can
    be had for cheaper $$$$ The ? is, what is more important???

    PS - it is also a wonderful site to hit task manager and see (8)
    EIGHT
    Processors there!!!!
    [/quote:670658c8a1][/quote:670658c8a1]

    Have one sitting here and granted it can put off some heat but in my
    opinion only someone who was very hypersensitive to such things would
    find the heat and fan noise bothersome. It is pretty quiet compared
    to some of the beasts of machines we are used to.

    As far as electricity, the dual processors use up about 300 to 400W
    most of the time by themselves (combined) while running...so take
    that - add the other components and assume you would be running the
    system 24 hours a day (which most won't) then you are looking in the
    $20 to $30.00 a month in electricity to run the thing (again at 24
    hours a day) For the normal user, this would be much less.

    JLA, Apr 11, 2006
  10. Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold Guest

    For crying out loud.... I'm talking about a home machine......

    Regards,
    Hank Arnold

    Hank Arnold, Apr 11, 2006