    Which is better, one Dual-Core Xeon, or 2 seperate Xeon processors on
    the motherboard. (When purchasing a new machine?)

    thanks

    stoppal, Apr 27, 2006

  2. stoppal

    daytripper Guest

    I'd think there's precious little reason to buy a single dual core Xeon over a
    dual core desktop chip, and even less reason to buy two single core Xeons over
    a dual core desktop chip...

    daytripper, Apr 27, 2006

  3. stoppal

    Leythos Guest

    In general, when it comes to base performance, if you are looking at
    Dual CPU's vs a single CPU of Dual Core, then the Dual CPU's will always
    perform faster as long as the speed is the same on both systems.

    If the actual Dual Core was to have COMPLETE FULL, UNSHARED PATHS
    in/out, then there would be little difference.

    Leythos, Apr 28, 2006
  4. stoppal

    daytripper Guest

    As both single core Xeons would be sitting on the same fsb, there's no
    advantage over a single dual core solution...

    daytripper, Apr 28, 2006
  5. stoppal

    Leythos Guest

    Actually there is, in testing, since there are two in/out paths.

    Leythos, Apr 28, 2006
  6. stoppal

    daytripper Guest

    No, there isn't, since both processors have to vie for the same interconnect,
    just as two cores on a single package vie for the same interconnect...

    daytripper, Apr 28, 2006
  7. stoppal

    stoppal Guest

    I heard that it's actually better to get 2 single core Xeons b/c to get
    the speed out of one dual-core you need the software written for it,
    and currently there is not much available. What are your thoughts?

    stoppal, Apr 28, 2006
  8. * :
    That's BS. Software can't distinguish if it's running on dual core or on
    dual cpu. The distribution of the processing load is job of the
    operating system. If software is not multithreaded it never ever will
    make use of multiple cpus or cores.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Apr 28, 2006
  9. It's not that simple. All the core still compete for the fsb, but if
    they're doing it on chip it may be faster.

    I'm somewhat surprised that no vendor has offered a memory setup with a
    small L3 cache, which you can't do on AMD. There was an IBM article on a
    smart memory controller which speeded cache snooping, but I don't find
    the link. I may have been the one to post it, but I still don't find the
    link :-(

    Bill Davidsen, May 2, 2006