    seem to list the supported combinations of resolutions.

    So, folks, any suggestions? Thanks.

    Roy

    Roy Hann, Feb 11, 2007

  2. Roy Hann

    Augustus Guest

    Typically, non-standard resolutions can be generated by a large number of
    cards. But it's the specific monitor drivers that are the key component in
    determining this. The generic XP monitor drivers will not do this.

    Augustus, Feb 11, 2007

  3. * Roy Hann:
    Every Geforce and Radeon card except some crappy Geforce FX5200/5500 are
    capable of this...
    It *does* exactly mean that. Every gfx card of the last 10 years or so
    is freely programmable regarding resolutions which means they can
    display everything up to the max resolution that is listed.

    The same is valid for every Radeon and Geforce card. There however were
    some el-cheapo Geforce FX5200 and FX5500 with buggy BIOS that don't
    support high resolutions over DVI.

    If you can't get 2x 1680x1050 from your Geforce with two DVI ports then
    there's something wrong with either your hardware or the software/driver....
    Yes. Just post some details about where you have which problems, maybe
    we can help you to solve that.

    Benjamin

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 11, 2007
  4. Roy Hann

    Roy Hann Guest

    That sounds promising.
    I believe my Matrox G550 is less than 10 years old, yet it won't offer me
    the required resolution. The driver offers me a fixed menu of resolutions
    that doesn't include what I want.
    If you can suggest how I might persuade the G550 to give me what I want I'd
    be grateful. Failing that, I'd like to hear from someone who is running a
    dual head card at exactly 1680x1050 with two monitors (i.e. 3360x1050).

    Roy

    Roy Hann, Feb 11, 2007
  5. Roy Hann

    Kevin Guest

    The Matrox G550 will only do 1280X1024 on the DVI conections in digital
    mode.
    See link
    http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/dispatch/products/gseries/g550pcie.php
    In Analog mode the secondary display is also restricted to 1600X1200
    maximum.
    If you really need 1680X1050 on both DVI connections it looks like a new
    card is in your future.
    As said before "Every Geforce and Radeon card except some crappy Geforce
    FX5200/5500 are
    capable of this...". Just do not get a "Turbo Cache" version of anything.
    Kevin

    Kevin, Feb 11, 2007
  6. * Roy Hann:
    Right. This is simply because the G550 has limited DVI ports that can't
    do more than 1280x1024. But the GPU still is freely programmable and
    does every resolution that is within it's limits.
    Be careful: even ATI and Nvidia drivers won't show you 1680x1050 unless
    the driver recognizes a display that supports 1680x1050. The G550 should
    do this resolution just fine - but only via analog (VGA) because their
    limited DVI ports.
    Over DVI? No way.
    As I said get a Radeon or Geforce card with two DVI ports and you're
    set. Unlike with Matrox this is not a problem with ATI and Nvidia cards...

    Benjamin, who ran two Dell 2005FPWs with 1680x1050 for some time

    Benjamin Gawert, Feb 12, 2007
  7. Roy Hann

    Roy Hann Guest

    [snip]