    isn't separate "mobile" version of this processor)?

    I couldn't find any information on Intel's web site that would answer
    my questions.

    amiliv, Jun 9, 2005

  2. amiliv

    Jason Gurtz Guest

    <http://processorfinder.intel.com/> says this is not a mobile P3 cpu.

    BTW, yes a mobile P3 would be a problem because the package type is
    completely different (not socket 370). It sounds like there's already
    hackery being contemplated and I'm not familiar with your board but keep
    in mind the best P3 to get is the tulutin P3's with 512K L2 cache.
    They're 1.5 volt and use a 133Mhz bus. Probably a long shot to get
    working in a slot type board.

    BTW, anyone running a tulutin in a tyan Tiger 100 dual cpu board? I'd
    love to know how ;)

    ~Jason

    Jason Gurtz, Jun 9, 2005

  3. amiliv

    Paul Guest

    That looks like a 1.1GHz/100Mhz/256KB Coppermine. It is socket 370.
    The word "mobile" doesn't appear on this page:

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/details.asp?sSpec=SL5QW

    This is the spec update for Pentium III.
    http://support.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/specupdt/24445346.pdf

    The Mobile Pentium III list is pretty strange looking (click "Go").
    Note the socket pin count is bigger.

    http://processorfinder.intel.com/scripts/default.asp?CHRID=55

    You've probably already seen Roland's FAQ:
    http://homepage.hispeed.ch/rscheidegger/p2b_procupgrade_faq.html

    There are some comments from "P2B" here:
    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c....asus/msg/d2b150975c82b261?dmode=source&hl=en

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Jun 9, 2005
  4. For questions like this I always suggest powerleap.com as a place to
    look for information. They make (made?) a "slocket" which allowed a skt
    370 CPU to run in slot boards. Sorry, long time ago, I may be thinking
    P-II rather than P-III but worth a look anyway.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 9, 2005
  5. I've checked their web site already couple of days ago (found it in
    FAQ). The prices they have are insane. It costs about the same to buy
    *entire* system from Dell (Celeron D 2.4GHz, 80GB disk, 256MB RAM) as
    they are charging for single PL-iP3/T with 1.4 GHz P3. Go dual, and I
    could almost buy 1U dual P4 server for that price. I simply don't
    understand why would anybody buy those adapters from PowerLeap?

    Anyhow, thanks to everybody who answered. I'll be probably buying
    those 1.1 GHz processors, if seller finally reposnds to my email (to
    confirm the processors are really SL5QW (which would mean they really
    are not in "mobile" packaging), and that he will not use UPS for
    shipping).

    Aleksandar Milivojevic, Jun 10, 2005
  6. That's easy, because a system is more than CPU and motherboard. If you
    have an investment in memory, video, or particularly an embedded app
    with custom hardware attached, it's cost effective. If your company has
    different pockets labeled upgrade and replace, you may be able to get
    funding for a better CPU but not a new system.

    There's obviously a market for their stuff, or they wouldn't be here.

    Bill Davidsen, Jun 10, 2005