    Why, because the DVI port on the D/port is NON-standard and I have yet to
    find either a cable or an adapter that matches the pin set of the DVI port

    Thanks.

    Graham Harvey, Jul 16, 2006

  2. Graham Harvey

    Tom Scales Guest

    What makes you think it is non-standard? I've never seen anything but
    standard on a Dell.

    Tom Scales, Jul 17, 2006

  3. Graham Harvey

    NuTCrAcKeR Guest

    I have the D/port replicator for my D810 ... it seems that you can use
    EITHER the DSub, OR the DVI, but not both at the same time.

    If you leave the lid on the laptop open, you will be able to do 2 displays
    (as configured via the ATI utility in the OS). I tried the same thing you
    did, but could not get it to work. Its a shame ... I would love to have 2
    panels AND the xwvga (or whatever it is) on the laptop at the same time.

    - NuTs

    NuTCrAcKeR, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Have you tried plugging a standard DVI cable into it?
    If you look at the right side of the DVI port you will see a horizontal
    opening. It does not have *any* pin openings above or below it.
    Standard DVI cables have pins above and below the horizontal therefore you
    can't plug them into the d/port.

    Graham Harvey, Jul 17, 2006
  5. Graham Harvey

    Tom Scales Guest

    Ah, the confusion of DVI-D and DVI-I. My I-9300 has the same connector.
    It is a DVI-D connector. It only carries a digital signal. A DVI-I
    connector has the extra pins to also carry a traditional VGA signal.

    So, it is a standard connector, just not the one you looked for:

    http://www.interfacebus.com/Design_Connector_Digital_Visual_Interface_DVI_Bus.html

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Jul 17, 2006
  6. Yup, works fine.

    Sparky Spartacus, Jul 18, 2006
  7. Sparky Spartacus, Jul 18, 2006
  8. Thanks Tom. Very educational. I never knew there was a difference.

    Gee you buy a computer to make life easier and you end up having to geta
    degree in electronics just to get a connection working <grin>

    Graham Harvey, Jul 18, 2006