Dual Processor Vs. Single Processor - Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robert, Jul 3, 2004.

  1. Robert

    Robert Guest

    I need advice on which setup would be better for a Linux web/ftp
    server with PHP and MySQL services also installed. I am currently
    using an old PC with the following specs:

    Pentium II 350MHz
    512MB PC133 RAM
    20GB IDE Hard Disk

    And I have an old Compaq Proliant server with the following specs:

    2 Pentium Pros @ 200MHz each
    256MB EDO RAM
    2 9.1GB SCSI Hard Disks (considering using RAID for speed)

    I am currently using the single processor system as my server, but do
    notice that it sometimes lags when more than 1 person is requesting
    web pages from it.

    My question is, will the dual-processor server outperform the current
    server? (Taking into consideration using RAID on it...) I am only
    using it for the purpose mentioned above.

    TIA
    Rob

    Robert, Jul 3, 2004

  2. Robert

    Pandora Xero Guest

    Really depends on a few factors. Both processor types are 32-bit, no
    difference, but since one is dual-procing it adds up to 400MHz. 50MHz
    more than the 350MHz System. On top of that, individual processors can
    be allocated to specific tasks. EDO vs. PC133, though is where the
    single-proc computer has the edge, not to mention quantity of RAM.
    SCSI always ran faster than PATA (parallel ATA/IDE), and RAID might
    give the Dual-proc the winning edge.

    Here's an idea: set up the web server on the dual-proc comp and have
    that one use only text, no GUI. Also set up to network with the PII
    350 and have the PII design all the webpages and send files to the
    dual-proc server.

    Pandora Xero, Jul 6, 2004

  3. Robert

    Robert Guest

    Really depends on a few factors. Both processor types are 32-bit, no
    Thanks for the reply. Im going to go with your advice and change to
    the dual processor machine. I'm going to look around and see if I can
    upgrade the RAM as well....

    Thanks Again
    Rob

    Robert, Jul 6, 2004