    I wonder if someone has some real life rendering and benchmarks comparing
    Maya and XSI rendering times for dual Opterons and Xeons?

    Thank you.

    Luke Piasecki, Aug 16, 2004

  2. Luke Piasecki

    Alex Johnson Guest

    This is a better question than most I see. What everyone fails to do
    when asking Xeon or Opteron is identify their workload. You gave me
    step 1: "high end 3d graphics". We could give you a bunch of benchmarks
    on that now (I leave that for someone else). Step 2: give us a real
    example of "high end 3d graphics". What is a typical workload. If you
    are running one program it might do better on Opteron while another
    program does better on Xeon. If you know exactly what renderer you will
    be using, tell us. Then put up a few details about the things you'll be
    rendering: motion video, stills for games, 50k poly, 500k poly, 5M
    poly, 50M poly, 480i, 1024x768, 1600x1200, 1080i, etc. The more you
    give us, the better results you'll see to your question.

    Alex

    Alex Johnson, Aug 16, 2004

  3. Hi Alex. Using Maya 6.0 and XSI 3.5, Mental Ray for rendering.
    I usually work in 640x480 for rendering, high quality, motion blur, high
    anti-aliasing. global illumination sometimes. Scenes are about 1M polys on
    average. I'm interested mainly in rendering on Mental Ray and Maya/XSI.
    Don't care about LW and MAX :).

    Thank you

    Luke Piasecki, Aug 16, 2004
  4.
    Carlo Razzeto, Aug 17, 2004
  5. Here are some benchmarks that may help you make your decision. Unfortunetly
    I havn't found any benchmarks specifically for duel Xeon v. Opteron but
    there are some including Maya anyway.

    http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000291 Includes Maya

    http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2163&p=4 Includes Mental Ray

    My first inclination would have been to go the P4 route, but it looks like
    in the apps you're using the Opteron is making a really strong showing. So
    the choice may be pretty tough to make

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Aug 17, 2004
  6. Luke Piasecki

    spinlock Guest

    3.4GHz Pentium EE IS NOT A XEON, DUMBASS

    spinlock, Aug 17, 2004
  7. Luke Piasecki

    Alex Johnson Guest

    4 EE _is_ a Xeon. It is a Xeon crippled so you can only use 1 processor
    instead of 2 or 4, but also given a faster Pentium 4 bus speed (800MHz
    vs 533) and a package that fits in P4 motherboards instead of Xeon
    motherboards. Otherwise it is a Xeon!

    Alex

    Alex Johnson, Aug 17, 2004
  8. Luke Piasecki

    spinlock Guest

    How about if you point one out!

    And not any of the trash that AnandJerk or the others spew,
    something from Intel will do fine.

    spinlock, Aug 17, 2004
  9. Luke Piasecki

    spinlock Guest

    Did they clip off 100+ pins when they crippled the chip?

    3.4GHz Pentium EE IS NOT A XEON, DUMBASS

    spinlock, Aug 17, 2004
  10. Luke Piasecki

    Mike Smith Guest

    The Pentium EE 3.2 and 3.4 are not technically Xeons, but they do use
    the same "Gallatin" core as the Xeon MP.

    Mike Smith, Aug 17, 2004
  11. Ok, well go find me better benchmarks then... I tried to find a comparison
    as close to what he's looking for as possible, that's the best I could do.
    If you can do better please feel free to post links

    Carlo

    Carlo Razzeto, Aug 18, 2004