  1. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    What's the difference between the Duo Core and the Duo 2 Core processor?

    Von Fourche, Nov 30, 2006

  2. Von Fourche

    Jay B Guest

    already asked and answered ad nauseum...
    for starters, check the 9/2 and 9/11 threads from this NG.

    Jay B, Nov 30, 2006

  3. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    In a nutshell, the Core2 is significantly faster at the same clock speed

    Tom Scales, Nov 30, 2006
  4. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    Ok, my Dell desktop is running a Pentium 4 3 ghz processor. I see two
    listed in the device manager for what it's worth. It's plenty fast for me.
    So, please briefly compare (in a nutshell) what I can expect form the
    following processor in a Dell laptop with say around 500 or 1gb or ram:

    1. AMD Turio 64 Mobile Technology MK-36

    2. Intel Core Duo T2050 (1.60GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB)

    3. Intel Core 2 Duo T7200 (2.00GHz, 4MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

    I would be connecting to the net wirelessly to my broadband router.

    Actually, I could probably make this more simple - my second computer is
    a five or six year old Compaq running around 800mhz processor. Would any of
    the three processors above be faster than my Compaq computer which is also
    fast enough for me (hooked up wireless running Windows Me)?

    Von Fourche, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Von Fourche

    S.Lewis Guest

    Oh hell yes.

    Sir.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 30, 2006
  6. Christopher Muto, Nov 30, 2006
  7. Core 2 Duo is Intel's newest processor family. There are both desktop
    Core 2 Duo's and mobile (laptop) Core 2 Duo's.

    In the desktop product line, Core 2 Duo is the best CPU line currently
    in production, and it just kicks ass over all previous processors by
    Intel and AMD. In benchmarks, some of the low end Core 2 Duo were very
    close to being comparable to the $1,000 "Extreme Edition" processors
    that were the "top of the line" as recently as early July (Core 2 Duo
    for desktops was introduced in late July). There are about 5 processors
    in the desktop family. The best value is probably the E6600, which is
    the least expensive model with the larger 4MB cache system (there are a
    couple of lower end models, and they are still quite good, but they only
    have 2MB of cache). Currently, E6600's are going for about $310.

    In the mobile (laptop) product line, the situation is similar, but the
    difference between Core 2 Duo and Core Duo is much less. When comparing
    processors with the same clock speed and the same cache size, it's
    probably under 10% (Intel says that the Core 2 Duo is 15% faster than
    the Core Duo, but in part that's because the high end Core 2 Duos have
    both larger cache memory and faster clock speeds. But most laptops
    don't have the very high end CPUs, which are found only in really
    high-end laptops).

    Barry Watzman, Nov 30, 2006
  8. You have an old style "netburst" architecture Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading.

    You are trying to compare desktop CPUs with mobile CPUs, and that's
    really not a valid comparison. Of the 3 processors that you listed, the
    T7200 will totally wipe the floor with both of the other choices. I'd
    guess, also, that the T2050 would outperform the AMD Turio 64, but
    that's going to be a much closer comparison. I really don't have a good
    feel for the AMD product line, but the Core 2 Duos have been destroying
    virtually everything else.

    The real question is how the T7200 will compare with your 3GHz
    "netburst" Pentium 4 with Hyperthreading, and my guess would be that it
    will be significantly faster, other things being equal. If I was going
    to guess, I'd guess (and that's all it is) that on pure CPU benchmarks
    it might be as much as 50% faster.

    All four of the processors in question will destroy the old Pentium III
    800MHz, the slowest of them is probably about 4x faster than that CPU.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 30, 2006
  9. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Obviously faster but I disagree with most others. I think in most
    EVERYDAY tasks, you won't see much difference. If you stress both
    out, then the difference will be more noticeable.

    RnR, Nov 30, 2006
  10. Von Fourche

    Tom Scales Guest

    I agree with you. Unless you're running a processor intensive task, it's
    not going to be that noticeable. You're not suddenly going to type emails
    faster

    Tom Scales, Nov 30, 2006
  11. Von Fourche

    RnR Guest

    Thanks.
    That said, I do notice on my 2nd laptop (T7200 4 meg cache??...a
    core2duo, I recall this is the one you earlier recommended in a
    different post but I'm rushing now so I forget the exact specs), on
    most of my ZoneAlarm pc's/laptops, ZA boots up slowly but on this one
    laptop, it zips thru and the boot up time is noticeably faster. Its
    true that the 2 new laptops I just got don't have a lot of software on
    them but I don't think in this case it makes a difference in regard to
    ZA boot up time.

    Anyway, I think we answered the OP's question. He might be wise to
    try Tom's Hardware web site to see if benchmarks are available but
    keep in mind that the benchmarks try to stress the cpu's so it may be
    a bit misleading unless he's going to do some heavy computing. For
    me, and just conjecture on my part based on my experience, I usually
    find the benchmarks divided by 2 is more realistic the way I compute
    but this is only based on my experience.... ymmv.

    RnR, Nov 30, 2006
  12. Von Fourche

    Von Fourche Guest

    Processor intensive tasks? The biggest programs I run that I know of
    are Google Earth, Microsoft word, Windows Media, Real Audio Player live
    streaming, Outlook Express, and Internet Explorer. Gaming? Online poker.
    And that's it.

    Von Fourche, Nov 30, 2006
  13. Von Fourche

    S.Lewis Guest

    Even if that's all you're doing, if it is being compared to a PIII 800mhz
    loaded with RAM (512mb, let's say), the difference after tweaking XP can
    be.......remarkable. Particularly in multi-tasking.

    jmo.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 30, 2006