During the last boot-up your system hung for an improper CPU Speed

Discussion in 'Asus' started by m.winward, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. m.winward

    m.winward Guest

    Hi everyone.

    My in-law's desktop PC has been switched off and unplugged for around
    four months and when they got back home from their travels and booted
    it up, it's jumped straight to the BIOS and shows a couple of values in
    red and the message "During the last boot-up your system hung for an
    improper CPU Speed".

    Any ideas how this could have happened? I was wondering if it's because
    the backup battery died maybe? I've found a whole load of posts related
    to similar issues and I have a few things to try when I go over there
    this weekend.

    It's part of the Award Bios Setup Utility but that's about all I know
    for now - I need to go over and have a look at the MoBo and see what
    they have.

    I'm going to try the following:

    - Test memory (www.memtest86.com)
    - Check CPU fan / PSU fan / Heatsinks
    - Try other BIOS versions
    - Check CPU temp (www.bootdisk.com)

    They've tried to save the settings as the system default but every time
    they save and exit it just resets and does the same - and hasn't saved
    the settings at all.

    Any suggestions would be very welcome!

    m.winward, Sep 8, 2006

  2. m.winward

    old man Guest

    Assuming it was OK prior to shutting down, only memtest, and checking
    components located correctly are relevent. Certainly not trying other Bios
    versions.
    Try setting bios to its defaults and or new battery

    old man, Sep 8, 2006

  3. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Do you think battery death could be the cause? I always thought that
    even if the battery goes, as long as you have a power supply all will
    be well .. maybe I'm wrong?

    I'll certainly suggest replacing the battery.

    As far as I know it hasn't been moved - it's just been sitting there
    unplugged for over four months. So my assumption is that the battery
    has died and caused problems.

    I'll make a mem test my first priority though!

    Actually, another possibilty is that something overheated. Apparently
    it got very very hot in their house while they were away - could the
    CPU be fried maybe? It was hot enough in there that their fire alarm
    went off!

    Thanks for the reply anyway.

    Zebrakorn, Sep 8, 2006
  4. m.winward

    old man Guest

    If the battery goes the cmos/bios settings are lost
    The outside temp will not be a factor if the sys wasn't running
    However if there was any condensation in the house there is a feint chance
    of system connections becoming corroded, usually only if the connections
    weren't originally good/firm

    old man, Sep 8, 2006
  5. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Okay. Well I'll have a play this Sunday and see what I can figure out.

    Thanks for your help so far! :)

    Zebrakorn, Sep 8, 2006
  6. m.winward

    Venom Guest

    Replacing the battery would be the first thing you should do.

    Venom, Sep 9, 2006
  7. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Could a dead battery cause problems with a system that's plugged into a
    power supply?

    Zebrakorn, Sep 9, 2006
  8. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Interestingly, the PC is fine now. They had left it running in the BIOS
    screen for a while and next time it was rebooted, it finally had saved
    the default settings and booted into Windows.

    I ran a full memory scan for a few hours (five or so passes I think)
    and that all checked out fine.

    I've said that if it misbehaves again, it would be worth changing the
    battery, so we'll see how it goes.

    I do like it when these things just start working without any
    intervention, although it does leave me wondering what was wrong!

    Thanks for all your wise words.

    Zebrakorn, Sep 10, 2006
  9. m.winward

    greysky Guest

    I'd still replace the battery. But there is a small chance that there may be
    a electrolytic capacitor on the motherboard that is beginning to leak /
    short out. Hopefully, this isn't the cause as it isn't a problem you can fix
    yourself.

    greysky, Sep 11, 2006
  10. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Yeah I guess that would mean a new MoBo!

    It seems okay for now, but I guess you're right - it can only do good
    to have a new battery in there.

    I'm not sure of the exact model, but I know it's an Asus motherboard
    with an Athlon processor. Do they all require the same type of battery?
    If anyone could let me know what they need to buy, I'll pass on the
    info and replace it for them at some point.

    Thanks!

    Zebrakorn, Sep 11, 2006
  11. m.winward

    Venom Guest

    Seeing that they are not a rechargable battery I would imagine that the
    computer being plugged in has nothing to do with it. It is a simple task to
    just pop it out and go anywhere that sells batteries and tell them you want
    one exactly like your sample. At least that will rule out the battery if the
    problem is still there.

    Venom, Sep 12, 2006
  12. m.winward

    Zebrakorn Guest

    Yeah - I'll get it replaced at some point either way - it can only do
    good! :)

    Zebrakorn, Sep 12, 2006