    Changed the PSu, no luck changed video cards no luck.

    Going to change the ram positions see if that makes a diff.

    Ho hum, i love pcs :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 9, 2003

    Jim Guest

    Dust inside of a monitor is usually not a problem. If you are a heavy
    smoker or use the monitor in a dust area, blowing it out wont hurt.
    Dust may cause overheating if extreame and give high voltage an easier path
    to ground if you have bad insutation. Blowing it out will help with
    overheating but if it has arched across something your out of luck.

    What kind of problem are you seeing ?

    When you first turn the monitor on do you hear any high voltage static sound
    or can you feel any static placing the back of you hand near the screen ?
    If you have a newer monitor, unplug the video cable for this test as it
    causes many to display a "no signal message" that will require the monitor
    to fire up the high voltage.

    Jim, Oct 9, 2003

    Todd Howard Guest

    FYI, if you decide to open up your monitor.....be very careful....it can hold a charge, even unplugged, that can kill
    you....
    TH

    Todd Howard, Oct 9, 2003

    Inglo Guest

    So remember, never, ever clean out your monitor while taking a bath
    during a thunder storm.
    And watch out for the cockroach carcasses.

    Inglo, Oct 9, 2003
  5. Like i care.

    But if i did care how long should i wait before i clean it out, unplug
    it and wait how long ??

    Thanks.

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 9, 2003

    6ball Guest

    It's no joke you can be seriously or fatally injured.
    Without even being in the tube.

    6ball, Oct 9, 2003

    rms Guest

    But if i did care how long should i wait before i clean it out, unplug
    Just wear a pair of rubber gloves and don't touch the monitor
    electronics in the first place. Blowing it out is a good idea, especially
    around the coil area.

    rms

    rms, Oct 9, 2003

    Harry Muscle Guest

    If I were you I'd try to find a friendly monitor repair shop and bring your
    monitor over there. You can do all the cleaning work, but see if they
    wouldn't mind being there, just to make sure you don't touch anything that
    will kill you .... cause as weird as it sounds, monitors can kill. The
    insides of monitors contain quite a few high vol capacitors that can
    maintain their charge for days if not weeks and the last thing you want is
    accidentally touching one of those and going into cardiac arrest.

    If you do take this upon yourself, I'd go with the rubber glove idea
    (however, be aware that at high vol , even they might not be enough) and
    touch absolutely nothing inside, which would probably require the use of
    those compressed air cans to do the cleaning.

    Harry

    Harry Muscle, Oct 9, 2003
  9. It ought to be fine now. Open the case and start poking around with a
    screwdriver to test it.

    My kidding and your apathy aside, it probably won't kill you but will
    knock you flat on your ass. I was adjusting a CRT once and touched
    the connection to the aquadawg (sp?) with the tip of the screwdriver
    while my pinky finger was lightly resting on the shaft of the
    screwdriver. It made a very loud "crack" and sent me flying backward
    about five feet. It was several hours before I could move my elbow
    and days before it didn't hurt anymore.

    I doubt you'll find anyone who knows even a little about monitors and
    CRT's that will suggest you should open the case and play with it.

    __________________
    -= ®atzofratzo =-

    ®emove The fleA to reply

    -= ®atzofratzo =-, Oct 9, 2003

    J.Clarke Guest

    Most rubber gloves do not have 18,000-30,000V dielectric strength.

    J.Clarke, Oct 9, 2003

    Spencer Guest

    Piss on the fucking thing, that will clean it!!!!!

    Spencer, Oct 9, 2003

    Falkentyne Guest

    Yeah, really.
    It shocks me how the kids don't care about safety, these days.

    But as soon as they have a brush with death (like you did...you were
    VERY lucky you didn't go into cardiac arrest), they suddenly become
    the most careful people on the planet and mature VERY fast.

    Maybe if one of you kids lost your best friend or girlfriend to a
    monitor accident, you would take the advice of people in the know more
    seriously.

    Monitors are NOT motherboards; a motherboard will never kill you
    unless you deliberately do something you shouldn't....but monitors,
    televisions, etc, can, and _will_ kill you if you do not know exactly
    what you're doing. all it takes is one slip, or one "um, is this the
    right thing?" and it's "gg".

    And leaving the thing unplugged for a day or a few days won't
    guarantee you will make it....

    I'll tell you what you do, to learn how to respect electricity....

    Put a puddle of water on the bathroom floor, take off your shoes and
    socks, stand in the puddle, wet your fingers, then touch the light
    switch.

    Maybe then you will grow up fast, or die, whatever fate has its way
    with...
    (whoever tries that deserves a darwin award.....)

    <Gibs> When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament
    it is "MonsterKill", In Quake3 it is "Excellent",
    in Counter-Strike it is "Kicked by console"

    Falkentyne, Oct 10, 2003

    J.Clarke Guest

    What knocks you on your butt is the second anode to the CRT, which
    pretty much uses the whole CRT as a capacitor with an 18+KV charge on
    it.

    J.Clarke, Oct 10, 2003

    Jim Guest

    Wait over night, but still dont touch anything inside. Use only dry
    compressed air. The picture tube is the dangerous part. I can be charged up
    to over 30,000 volts and may hold a charge for several days. Its a nasty
    bite. The main power supply will also have caps that store around 170V,
    this section will usually bleed down within a short time.

    I've worked on monitors for a long time and never actually heard of anyone
    who died but you dont want to be the first.

    Dont rely on rubber gloves or someone elses work to keep you safe. The rule
    is, use only one hand in a circuit that may be live and dont touch anything
    until you personally have verified that it is dead.

    Jim, Oct 10, 2003
  15. Not going to touch ANYTING, just compressed air blow blow, and then
    shut it :)

    We Live For The One We Die For The One, Oct 10, 2003

    J.Clarke Guest

    No real trick to that--run a wire from a plastic-handled screwdriver to
    the chassis and then slide the screwdriver under the insulated cap until
    you hear a snap. If you want to you can put a 1 meg or so resistor in
    the path so that you don't get a big arc.

    And getting hold of it is more scary than dangerous--the real risk is
    that you'll break the CRT when you react, and that _is_ dangerous--goes
    off like a grenade.

    J.Clarke, Oct 10, 2003

    DaveL Guest

    You ever heard of Charles Darwin and his theory about survival of the
    fittest? Or the other side of the coin, the non-survival of the dimmest?
    You are about to prove his theory correct if you happen to contact the
    flyback circuit. The charge stays indefinately. Only a trained tv or
    monitor repairman knows how to properly discharge it.

    Best solution is to leave the damn thing alone till it goes out and then buy
    a new one. Don't let your fixation on possible dust build-up be your
    undoing.

    Dave

    DaveL, Oct 10, 2003