DVD causes IS7-G to reboot!?!

Discussion in 'Abit' started by Gareth Jones, Aug 5, 2003.

  1. Gareth Jones

    Gareth Jones Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Have recently built up a 2.4GHz P4 on an IS7-G
    2* Maxtor 120Gb drives in intel Raid 0 via serial adaptor
    Radeon AIWP 9700
    DVD drive
    DVD writer.

    Not overclocked.
    The system seems to be extremely stable running XP, no real problems at
    all, runs 24/7 - except...... occasionally when accessing the DVD
    drives, the machine will just reboot!
    I thought it might be the new 106 writer initially or possibly a problem
    with this and nero, but its now done it with the other drive which is a
    pioneer that's been working in an old BH6 system for over two years.

    Before I go ripping it apart, anybody got any suggestions??
    The reboots seem to happen when the drive is first accessed - could it
    be a power problem?? Maybe the graphics card having its 5.25" drive
    power connector on it daisychained off the drives??? Its not a cheap and
    nasty case so I'd have thought the PSU should be good.

    TIA
    G.
    <Gareth Jones> [email protected]_ns_swansea.demon.co.uk

    "Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

    To email, remove the '_ns_' from
    [email protected]_ns_swansea.demon.co.uk

    Gareth Jones, Aug 5, 2003

  2. Same problem as me, my reboots seem to be linked to my NEC 1300A DVD-R
    drive, most reboots happen when I use nero and write to the disk. Many a
    coaster so fat.
    I have a Antec Truepower 400W so power shouldn't be aproblem.

    We do have 2 things in common, our MOBO and drives, however mine are native
    SATA not via Serille adaptor.

    Paul Landregan, Aug 5, 2003

  3. Gareth Jones

    TomG Guest

    it the PSU a brand name PSU in the case or a no-name? it could be a power
    related issue, especially since you describe it as happening when the drive
    is first accessed... take a look at the PSU and see if it is a no-name
    unit...

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 115,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, Aug 6, 2003
  4. The default for Windows XP is to reboot instead of showing a BSOD.
    Disable the reboot and see what it does when you try accessing the drive
    afterwards.
    It may need a reboot to disable that "feature".

    Jens C. Hansen [Odense], Aug 6, 2003