DVD/CD combo drive can't read DVDs in Dell Latitude

Discussion in 'Laptops' started by sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    Hi,
    I recently bought a Dell Latitude C610 1.0 Ghz laptop that came with
    256 MB RAM / 20 GB hard drive from a computer show.

    It also came with an 8x DVD-ROM/DISK DRIVE MODULE of type "8x DVD/24x
    CD" (according to the label on the part). The part number is
    18THT-A00.

    I booted up the laptop with BIOS version A16. In the BIOS, the DVD
    drive was read as "Modular Bay: CD-ROM".

    In Windows XP SP2, the Device Manager says it is a "TEAC CD-224E"
    drive. The problem I have is that it can only read CDs, not DVDs.
    When it tries to read a DVD the LED flashes on and off.

    I've read in the Dell discussion forum that this specific part number
    really is a DVD-ROM drive... S why is it being detected as a CD drive
    only? (I can't post there right now because registration is
    temporarily unavailable.)

    I installed PowerDVD so that DVD playback drivers would be installed,
    but that still did not help matters.

    How can I get this drive to read DVDs??

    sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005

  2. sprite_junk

    BigJIm Guest

    it is possible that there is a problem with the drive
    did the vendor warranty it at all

    BigJIm, Dec 5, 2005

  3. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    Yes, there was a 30-day warranty. I could ask them. It was, however,
    advertised as a laptop with a CD drive.... But considering the part
    number, it should be a DVD drive!

    sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005
  4. sprite_junk

    tc Guest

    With a name like CD-224E it is unlikely to be a DVD unit. Why don't you
    check the TEAC site for its specs?
    Terry

    tc, Dec 5, 2005
  5. sprite_junk

    Notan Guest

    Or, just Google "TEAC CD-224E."

    Notan

    Notan, Dec 5, 2005
  6. sprite_junk

    D I Guest

    Hi, it's me (the original poster) again... but using a different account.

    Yeah, I already searched for this model. I am aware that the TEAC
    CD-224E is a CD model. However, if you search for 18THT-A00 (the part
    number), you get results that specify this as a DVD drive.. So
    apparently Windows is not seeing this as a DVD drive. The drive itself
    is labelled as a DVD/CD drive, so I don't get it.

    D I, Dec 5, 2005
  7. I have not found the TEAC web site, but from what I am seeing, this
    [Teac CD-224E] is a 24X CD drive only, it is not a "combo" drive (e.g.
    it isn't and isn't supposed to read DVDs).

    You have to go by what is actually in the computer (e.g. Device
    Manager), not by what is supposed to be there (paperwork).

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2005
  8. Yes, but the part number (18THT-A00) exists only on a sheet of paper.
    You have no way of know that this is the part number that is actually
    present, and, in fact, I'm pretty sure that it's not. In other words,
    the paper says you have one thing, but in reality you have something
    different.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2005
  9. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    The 18THT-A00 is a DVD/CD-ROM combo drive. It is specified right on the
    component. Others have used it as a DVD drive.

    However, it is being read as a TEAC CD-ROM drive in my Windows XP. I
    already know that the TEAC CD-224 is CD only. The problem is with
    Windows not detecting it as a DVD drive, NOT with the 'paperwork'
    itself, because the 18THT-A00 is a common Dell DVD-ROM/CD-ROM drive for
    many of its laptops.

    I have read on the Dell discussion boards that an installation of
    PowerDVD should get this drive to read DVDs... so I guess it's
    something to do with having the proper DVD decoder software installed.

    sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005
  10. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    What I want to clarify is that the 18THT-A00 specification is not on a
    piece of paper or sticky label. It's inscribed on the part (in white
    ink) from Dell. So it's not like someone put a bogus label on it.

    sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005
  11. sprite_junk

    BigJIm Guest

    it is a dvd/cdrw combo drive

    BigJIm, Dec 5, 2005
  12. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    Based on what i've read online (google), and also from the inscription
    on the hardware, it's a 8x DVD-ROM/ 24x CD-ROM drive. It doesn't look
    like it writes CDs.

    sprite_junk, Dec 5, 2005
  13. Re: "The problem is with Windows not detecting it as a DVD drive"

    Wrong, I think.

    The problem is that the drive actually present in your laptop (which
    most likely really IS a Teac CD-224) doesn't agree with the drive that
    the PAPERWORK says is supposed to be present, an 18THT-A00.

    There is nothing wrong with your computer, but it does NOT have the
    drive that your paperwork says it has.

    The real test would be to remove the drive, at which point I believe
    that you will find that it is a Teac CD-224.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2005
  14. Ok; but I'm still not sold on that explanation. Labels can be changed.
    I've seen wrong labels on drives. Device manager gets it's
    information from the drive firmware, which, normally, is going to be
    correct.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 5, 2005
  15. sprite_junk

    Dewaine Chan Guest

    I definitely agree with Barry on this. If both the BIOS and Windows only
    detected it as a CD only, it is not a Combo drive because both rely on the
    product ID that is built into the Drive.

    Just for arguement sake that it is indeed a DVD/CD Combo drive. Then it has
    bad DVD channel. The DVD Drive has separate DVD & data channels. I have
    dealed with DVD drive that will read DVD fine but not data/audio and some
    that read Data/audio but not DVD.

    Dewaine

    Dewaine Chan, Dec 6, 2005
  16. sprite_junk

    BigJIm Guest

    check teac.com north America

    BigJIm, Dec 6, 2005
  17. I have one of the latter. Recognized as both CD and DVD, but only reads
    DVDs, no CDs. Is there anything that can be done (short of exchanging the
    drive)?

    Thanks,
    Gerhard

    Gerhard Fiedler, Dec 6, 2005
  18. Probably not. The "data channel" explantion isn't well worded, but
    combo drives use separate laser beams for DVD and CD operations, and
    it's possible for one (either one) to fail while the other is still
    working. But it's more common for the DVD to fail while the CD still works.

    Barry Watzman, Dec 6, 2005
  19. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    That looks like a possible explanation. Alright, thanks for the help
    guys.

    I guess I can get a DVD drive later. BTW, do USB dvd drives work fine
    on most laptops?? I mean USB is universal, so it should work, no?

    sprite_junk, Dec 6, 2005
  20. sprite_junk

    sprite_junk Guest

    Actually, the DVD laser failing doesn't explain why Device Manager sees
    it as a CD-ROM drive (TEAC CD-224E). It would still be detected as a
    DVD drive. I think it could be mislabelled.

    sprite_junk, Dec 6, 2005