    driver. This laptop does not have the horsepower to play DVDs without
    hardware support. C-Cube is apparently no longer in business.

    Anyway, has anybody gotten this to work?

    paulmd, Nov 1, 2006

  2. paulmd

    BillW50 Guest

    I have news for you. It is my belief if you did find a Windows 2000
    driver for C-Cube, you will not be happy with the performance with it.
    The reason why I say this is because I have two Toshiba 2595XDVD
    laptops. Which have Celeron 400mhz with 192MB of ram. Although one has
    Windows 98SE on it and the other Windows 2000.

    And the Windows 98SE machine does a good job of playing most DVDs. It's
    not flawless like my new Gateway MX6124 of course, but good enough. And
    it can keep up with 700mbps video streams from broadband.

    But the Windows 2000 one, can't play DVD videos worth a dang. It is just
    awful. And any video stream over 100mbps it falls apart (twice as fast
    as dialup). Now I had Windows 2000 on a HP desktop here and I put
    Windows XP on it. It has an AMD 1.2ghz with 386mb of ram. And Windows XP
    blows Windows 2000 out of the water with DVD and video streams.

    Someday I might try Windows XP on these Toshibas. And I have a spare
    Windows XP install disc that I never used, so I don't have much of an
    excused to not do so.

    BillW50, Nov 1, 2006

  3. paulmd

    paulmd Guest

    I've got an update. I bit the bullet, loaded powerdvd on it, despite
    the lack of a driver. Software decoding only. It worked fine. A bit
    quiet, but OK. Test movie was Johnny Mnemonic.

    For the record the machine is a Gateway Solo 9100. 128MB RAM. Really
    not a candidate for XP at all. I'm refurbishing the machine for resale.
    It's what I do for a living. So I can't spend too much time on it.

    paulmd, Nov 2, 2006
  4. paulmd

    CJRyan

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Solo 9100 drivers and softward

    I have all the software and drivers for the Gateway Solo 9100 and am happy to share. I also have several complete laptops and a couple for parts.
    I have tried over and over to find a driver to run DVD on Windows XP, but no go. I reinstalled Windows 98 on one of the machines to watch DVDs.
    By the way, Windows xp Pro runs great on these laptops...only the ccube driver does not work with XP.
    THis may save some time...I believe I've exhausted the subject.
    CJ

    CJRyan, Dec 4, 2006
  5. paulmd

    totallybonkers

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hello,
    I know this is a very old post but I am desperate. I am trying to install XP on an old Gateway Solo 9100.
    I would love to take you up on you offer of drivers. I cannot get the graphics to work on this computer. Can you help me?

    Please send it to totallybonkers_ (don't forget the underscore.) Follow that with @ hotmail.com

    Could you please send the TRIDENT Cyber 9397 PCI chipset.
    I have one with the DVD player. Any help you can give me to get it up and running with WinXP.
    Thank you in advance.
    Daniel

    totallybonkers, Dec 21, 2010