DVD drive on iMac reads data DVDs but ejects video DVDs!!??

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Van Bagnol, Jan 5, 2007.

  1. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    I have an iMac G4 ("igloo") which recently began to summarily eject the
    video DVDs I insert in it, even though it happily mounts and reads the
    data DVDs. What's going on?

    Basically, I hear a brief spin-up, a few "chick-chick-chick" sounds, and
    an ejection.

    I don't think its a region code thing, as it even ejects video DVDs that
    I had once burned from it. Neither using Disk Utility, nor changing the
    "CDs & DVDs" settings in System Preferences, appears to make a
    difference.

    The machine continues to write and read CDs just fine, and as I said,
    can read my data DVDs (e.g., discs burned from iPhoto), just not video
    DVDs whether commercial or personally created.

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Jan 5, 2007

  2. Van Bagnol

    Király Guest

    Does this problem persist if you try while logged in to a different user
    account?

    Király, Jan 5, 2007

  3. Van Bagnol

    Van Bagnol Guest

    Yes.

    My iBooks' Combo drives and my television DVD player seem to play the
    same discs okay.

    It's puzzling - though it would appear to be hardware, the fact that it
    reads nonvideo DVDs seems an enigma. If it were a software/driver issue,
    I would have at least expected the discs to mount and I'd explicitly see
    the VIDEO_TS folder. Or does video DVD not share the same base format
    with data DVDs?

    Van

    Van Bagnol, Jan 5, 2007