    computer seems to recognize correct drives. Any ideas on what else to look
    for to get my DVD drives back. 2004 Dell 8300 running WinXP with Service
    Pack 3 and all updates current.

    Erehwon, Jan 31, 2011

  2. Erehwon

    Brian K Guest

    Brian K, Jan 31, 2011

  3. Erehwon

    Steve W. Guest

    Had a similar problem with a Toshiba about a week ago.

    http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems

    The registry gets corrupted by an update.
    Try the below info.

    Windows XP

    1. Click Start, and then click Run.
    2. In the Open box, type regedit, and then click OK.
    3. In the navigation pane, locate and then click the following
    registry subkey:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

    4. In the right pane, click UpperFilters.

    Note You may also see an UpperFilters.bak registry entry. You do
    not have to remove that entry. Click UpperFilters only. If you do not
    see the UpperFilters registry entry, you still might have to remove the
    LowerFilters registry entry. To do this, go to step 7.

    5. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    6. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    7. In the right pane, click LowerFilters.

    Note If you do not see the LowerFilters registry entry,
    unfortunately this content cannot help you any further. Go to the "Next
    Steps" section for information about how you can find more solutions or
    more help on the Microsoft Web site.

    8. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    9. When you are prompted to confirm the deletion, click Yes.
    10. Exit Registry Editor.
    11. Restart the computer.

    Steve W., Jan 31, 2011
  4. Erehwon

    Erehwon Guest

    Thanks. The aumha registry patch restored the drives. Wish I had come here
    first instead of wasting a couple of hours getting nowhere.

    Erehwon, Jan 31, 2011
  5. Erehwon

    Erehwon Guest

    Actually solved two problems. The reason I needed the DVD drive in the
    first place was because QUICKEN had started refusing to create backups and I
    planned to re-install the program. After running the registry patch,
    QUICKEN's backup also started working again. Not sure what the connection
    was since it doesn't use the DVD drives for backup, but I'll take the
    result.
    Thanks again.

    Erehwon, Jan 31, 2011