DVD Movie Writer DC3000 - HELP!!!!

Discussion in 'HP' started by Jeff B, Dec 6, 2003.

  1. Jeff B

    Jeff B Guest

    Anyone out there have the new DC3000???

    I have been struggling for 2 days to get past Step 1 on the installation to
    my brand new laptop with Win2000 Professional with no success! HP
    "technical support" (phone and email) is WORTHLESS!

    Basically, I can't get the Found New Hardware wizard to load the right
    drivers or get Win2000 see the unit as a "drive" with a drive letter. Its
    load the unit as a "USB Mass Storage Device" with a generic driver, not a
    DVD drive. I've tried loading/unloading software hardware, manual driver
    loads, etc. Their tech support asks me if its plugged in!!...great help!!
    I'm about to give up and return the unit.

    Parts of my email to the On-Line Support service is cut/pasted below.

    Thanks!!!

    -------
    the device driver, uninstalling and reinstalling the software several times
    with no success. I have called the Support Line twice (trouble code
    907305749789) and spent an hour each time with no progress. I have reviewed
    the on-line FAQs and support database but this problem is not described.

    Jeff B, Dec 6, 2003

  2. Jeff B

    James Espejo Guest

    jeff, this FAQ page may help. Its from an HP tech guy, but as an
    official spokeperson. I have been researching to buy this too, and
    found that this Faw and the product to have some short-coming. In
    particular, theDLA functions

    http://www.k0lee.com/dc3000/

    DLA (drive letter access)

    Prior to the introduction of the dc3000, HP included a program with
    CD/DVD writers that allowed them to have file 'drag and drop'
    capability from the OS called DLA. DLA makes CD-RW/DVD+RW disks act
    more like a floppy disks where you can add and delete files on the
    disk directly from the OS. To take advantage of this feature, a
    special program that operated in the background was necessary to help
    format and manipulate the file systems on the disks it created.
    Other vendors such as Ahead (makers of Nero) and Roxio's DirectCD also
    offer DLA features, but they are incompatible with HP's DLA as well as
    with each other. Due to the increasing number of programs including
    CD/DVD writing engines from competing companies, the potential to have
    interaction problems began to increase. For this reason, HP decided
    not to include DLA with the dc3000. It is still available for
    downloading from HP's website (search hp.com for 'DLA') but there is
    always a potential for interaction issues with any other CD/DVD
    writing programs that may be installed on your computer.

    James Espejo, Dec 28, 2003

  3. Jeff B

    Frank Guest

    Jeff,
    I installed on a Win2k platform with no problem - the drive letter
    appeared as expected. I noted that the driver used by Win2k is the
    generic cdrom.sys - make sure you have this file in
    winnt\system32\drivers folder, also the cdrom.inf file must be in
    winnt\inf folder.

    What I am struggling with is the software, but am making some headway
    - will post my experiences with this device in a few more
    days/weeks...

    Frank.

    Frank, Jan 5, 2004