    VLC can.

    You'd think Apple would have fixed last decade when it started to
    (pretend) to support TOSlink digital input and output.

    JF Mezei, Apr 19, 2011

  2. Have you tried to change the "master out" in the Audio Midi Setup in the
    Applications -> Utilities folder?

    Not sure if it'll solve the problem but I remember that app coming up in the
    past (kind of obscure) for dealing with the optical in/out defaults for the
    machine.

    -bruce

    Bruce Esquibel, Apr 19, 2011

  3. JF Mezei

    JF Mezei Guest

    I think this worked once with Leopard. But hasn't worked since then. I
    can choose "Encoded Digital Audio", but in the speaker setup, all
    options except "Stereo" are greyed out.

    The "quicktime" that is used for Itunes to watch rented movies does
    support surround now. But it is a very unobvious button in the movie
    controls that switches from stereo to dolby surround, and this is only
    activcated when a downloaded movie does have the surround soundtrack
    enabled.

    Mant movies are listed as Dolby surround, but after you've downloaded
    the SD version, you find out it is stereo only. Perhaps Apple is in the
    process if fixing this.

    However, standalone quicktime does not seem to have that button to
    enable encoded digital output and the settings in Audio Midi utility are
    broken.

    JF Mezei, Apr 20, 2011
  4. JF Mezei

    Warren Oates Guest

    That would seem the correct behaviour for discrete 5.1 surround. And for
    Pro Logic I guess, if you don't have that decoder.
    I don't understand how Apple come into this. This is kind of correct
    behaviour too: the thinking is that them using SD video are listening
    through a tv (or maybe an ordinary stereo system).

    Warren Oates, Apr 20, 2011