    So, any insights, comments, are appreciated.

    Thanks for looking,
    Phil Wong

    Phil Phil, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Phil Phil

    skygodtj Guest

    Yep, best performance will be with an 8x DVD rom, the 2x will work ok, but
    better perf will be with 4x or better.

    There's a guy on eBay, , that sells 8x DVD drives only, no
    caddies, you'll have to swap out the caddy from a CDROM. Its pretty easy, but
    you'll need a tiny Phillips screwdriver to do it.

    I sell TP600s with 6x and 8x DVD drives, using PowerDVD for the player, and they
    run perfectly.

    TJ
    Pilots track their lives by the number of hours in the air,
    as if any other time isn't worth noting....
    Michael Rarfit

    skygodtj, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Phil Phil

    theSunbird Guest

    you could open up and remove your cdrom, and compare it to his dvd drive.
    if its the same mechanically, and connectors in the same place it's very
    likely it'll work, unless its faulty - why wouldn't he let you try it
    first? have a look on ebay.

    theSunbird, Jul 23, 2003
  4. Phil Phil

    philphil Guest

    Thanks for the replies.

    I will shop at ebay first and then decide who to buy it from.

    Thanks again.

    Phil

    philphil, Jul 24, 2003
  5. Phil Phil

    obs Guest

    Some guy wants to sell me a DVD Rom (Toshiba SD-C2302) and he said it

    IBM did use toshiba SD-C2102 (2x) and SD-C2302 (6x) drives for
    the 600 series.

    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=psg1LWIK-3YCMP9

    note that if you rip audio CDs, *some* toshiba drives have a
    glitch and won't rip the disc 100% error-free. the 2102 has
    this problem (i have this drive) but don't know about the
    2302.

    obs, Jul 24, 2003