DVD Writer 740b and DVD-R Discs

Discussion in 'HP' started by James, Nov 3, 2007.

  1. James

    James Guest

    I have a DVD Writer 740b internal DVD-R/RW drive. The technical specs
    say it reads and writes DVD+R and DVD-R discs. Mine, however, only
    recognizes DVD+R. I am running a Gateway desktop, 1 Gig RAM, XP Pro.

    When a DVD-R disc is inserted, various burning software packages (Nero
    and Fireburner among others) all report that no disc is in the drive.
    The LED flashes about 14 times after I put the disc in. There are no
    errors in the Hardware System section of the control panel. Nero
    Tools says the drive is empty when the disc is in. The drive works
    well for read-only DVDs (like movies), DVD+R, and CD-R/W discs.

    I have updated to the latest firmware and uninstalled the drive and
    then reinstalled it, with any success. I emailed HP Tech Support for
    help a month ago and again yesterday and have not yet gotten anything
    back except the automated reply that they received the email.

    Has the drive failed? Is there something I can do? Thanks.

    James

    James, Nov 3, 2007