DVDRW not being recognized by XP

Discussion in 'MSI' started by Keith Woolner, Sep 22, 2005.

  1. Hi everyone,

    I've been having a strange problem with my home PC that's made the
    DVD/CD unusable for the past week or two.

    * Dual Pentium 3 CPU's, 1 GB RAM
    * Motherboard is an Microstar Pro266TD Master-LR (MS-9105)
    * 2 hard drives on the onboard primary IDE channel
    * Pioneer DVD+RW on master on the onboard secondary IDE channel
    * Window XP Service Pack 2

    The DVD drive has stopped being recognized -- it still appears in
    Windows Explorer with a drive name, but when either a blank DVD or one
    it has previously written is put into the drive, it spins up, then stops
    spinning and starts making a repeating clicking sound "chuk-chuk-chuk-
    chuk". After a while it will show the directory contents in Window
    Explorer, but if I scroll down the list of files, or do anything else
    that would access the DVD, it happens again. This is just reading discs
    -- I haven't attempted writing to the drive in its current state.

    Same thing happens with CD-ROMs, though subjectively it seems to deal
    with them a little bit better, and "stalls" less frequently. Still
    basically unusable, though, whether it's CD's or DVD's.

    Hard drives seem to be accessed fine, no matter which IDE controller
    they are connected to.

    I ran a complete virus scan on the system, which found nothing. I've
    tried the following --

    1) replacing the DVD drive with a brand new DVD writer (also a Pioneer,
    but a newer dual-layer model)
    2) replacing the IDE cable with a brand new cable
    3) swapping the hard drives to the secondary and the DVD to the primary
    controller
    4) removing the DVD from Device Manager and letting it find/reinstall
    drivers

    I originally thought it was a hardware problem, but having swapped out
    the drive, the cable, and which controller it's connected to, I'm
    thinking now that its software -- either a drive, a virus, or a device
    conflict of some kind. I use the DVD drive infrequently, so I don't
    know exactly when it became a problem. I wouldn't rule out it being
    related to XP SP2. Any ideas on what might be going on?

    Keith Woolner, Sep 22, 2005

  2. Keith Woolner

    Kevin Guest

    Do you have a bootable XP CD? If so, try booting to that CD a few
    times to test the drive outside of the Windows environment.

    Kevin

    Kevin, Sep 22, 2005

  3. Keith Woolner

    Terry Guest

    Might be the power supply. It does sound like hardware, and given that
    you've already swapped out the drive etc., I would guess the PSU
    cannot deliver enough current on one rail to keep it working. Try
    swapping it (PSU) out.

    T.

    Terry, Sep 22, 2005
  4. Use a Win98 startup diskette with CDROM support and see how drive
    performs. Have you tried XP in safe mode?
    mIKE.

    Michael Hawes, Sep 22, 2005