DVDs won't play - please help!

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Duncan Langford, Apr 7, 2004.

  1. I posted this a while back, but without any response:

    --------start quote-----------
    G4, 640mg, 10.3.3, DVD Player 4.0; external (FireWire) DVD read/write.

    All worked beautifully, until yesterday when it - didn't. The G4 loaded the
    DVD, which appeared on the desktop; but DVD Player (which automatically
    triggered) threw up an error message saying it couldn't find an approved
    player... repeatedly.

    I'm new at OSX, so, after re-booting and repairing disk permissions, I was
    stumped... and, to make it worse, the same disk plays without problems
    (under DVD Player 4.0) on my G5!

    Could some kindly expert advise me? If the drive had never worked, I could
    cope better; but DVD Player worked just fine with this setup for ages - and
    I'm sure I haven't installed anything that might have broken it....

    ---end quote--------------------

    Can ANYONE advise, please?!!

    - duncan

    Duncan Langford, Apr 7, 2004

  2. Duncan Langford

    John Carrana Guest

    Duncan

    I had the same problem, 10.3.3 upgrades the DVD 4 player, here's the
    solution. You need the DVD playback framework from a pre 10.3.3 system, I
    got it from my Panther disc using Pacifist. You then put it in
    System/Library/Frameworks replacing the one in there.

    If you have problems getting the DVD playback framework, email me, I'll
    email it to you (1.6mb).

    John

    John Carrana, Apr 7, 2004