    My vid card came with an adapter for VGA to DVI. The Sony LCD monitor I
    have comes with a VGA connector. Should I use the DVI adapter or the VGA
    connetor?

    Bobtail, Sep 2, 2005

  2. On an LCD, if it has a DVI connector, you should generally use it.

    Robert Hancock, Sep 2, 2005

  3. Bobtail

    Dre Guest

    But this is about monitors/LCD screens with only a VGA connector. I'd like
    to know this aswell.

    With a screen that only has a VGA connector, is it better to run the video
    card through a standalong VGA cable or is it better to run the video card
    through a VGA-DVI connector first???

    Do you get different results with an LCD via DVI-VGA over VGA, and also with
    a CRT running through a DVI-VGA connector over a VGA?

    Cheers Dre

    Dre, Sep 2, 2005
  4. Bobtail

    Bobtail Guest

    both DVI and VGA connector inputs and a VGA to DVI adapter. Which one to
    use is my question.

    Bobtail, Sep 2, 2005
  5. Bobtail

    Bobtail Guest

    Exactly my question. Too bad Im too drunk to articulate the question so
    succinctly.

    Bobtail, Sep 2, 2005
  6. There arent any difference. The "vga" signal that runs thru the dvi
    connector, is of exact same quality/strength as the "real" vga connector.
    There are simply just dedicated some pins to carry same signal as in the
    oldfashioned 15pin.

    Theoretically there is a little loss using the dvi adapter, as 2 connectors
    (can) give weaker signal than a straight cable. But in this context, you can
    safely disregard that, unless the dvi-vga adapter is rusty and stored it
    saltwater when not used.

    So save the hassle and use the vga connector with a vga cable.

    Sune Storgaard, Sep 2, 2005
  7. Bobtail

    Dre Guest

    Makes sense, I just wanted to know if the DVI signal may have been stronger
    for example.

    No worries, thanks for the info!

    Cheers Dre

    Dre, Sep 2, 2005
  8. Bobtail

    Dre Guest

    :)

    Cheers Dre

    Dre, Sep 2, 2005
  9. Bobtail

    McGrandpa Guest

    Use the VGA connector on the video card, no need to use that adapter.
    McG.

    McGrandpa, Sep 2, 2005
  10. Bobtail

    DaveW Guest

    If the monitor only has a VGA connection then use the video card's VGA
    output. You do NOT need to use the DVI converter.

    DaveW, Sep 3, 2005
  11. Bobtail

    Inglo Guest

    Unless the card doesn't have a VGA output. Mine doesn't.

    --
    Dudley Moore: "You're a bleeding nutcase!" Peter Cook: "Hah! They said that about Galileo."
    Moore: "They also said it about a lot of nutcases."

    Steve ¤»Inglo«¤
    www.inglostadt.com

    Inglo, Sep 3, 2005
  12. Bobtail

    First of One Guest

    If the Sony LCD only has a VGA connector, you should get rid of it. :) LCD
    monitors should only be driven with a digital connection. Anything else
    would be ass-backwards.

    First of One, Sep 4, 2005