    no hdmi is included
    my video card is gtx 460
    hel

    PcGAmeR22, Aug 27, 2013

  2. PcGAmeR22

    Paul Guest

    Some other people have this problem too.

    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/477557/geforce-500-400-series/gtx-460-hdmi-help/2/

    Only positive bit of advice in that thread, was to go from a
    recent driver, back to an older driver like 257.xx.

    It could be worse. Someone with a 660 is having problems at
    the BIOS level, where if a second connector is used on the 660,
    the computer won't even boot. (That means it is not an OS problem,
    not a driver problem, but a BIOS level problem of some sort. Like
    an incompatibility with the VESA BIOS on the video card.)
    Which is worse than having problems getting a second display to work
    in the OS (where, some alternate option, usually, eventually, works).

    No indications yet, that it is "just a defective card". These
    appear to be design defects. Because, when the issue comes up,
    there always seems to be a second poster who can confirm
    the same behavior. Either it's a hardware/VESA BIOS problem,
    or it's driver problems with the new Surround feature and
    all the permutations that come from that. Some people dealing
    with issues like this, try as many as three of the same model,
    just to be sure. And they all behave the same.

    And this all seems to have started happening, since Nvidia Surround
    came out. NVidias answer to Eyefinity. Previous to Surround,
    the only other issues I've read about, is flaky behavior of
    some monitor devices and their HDMI implementation. Don't
    know if that is HDCP handshaking or what.

    My guess is, if you could arrange several other display devices to use
    as HDMI testers, they wouldn't work any better.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 28, 2013

  3. PcGAmeR22

    PcGAmeR22 Guest

    Greetings Paul and thanks for the reply
    as I mentioned the tv is not HDMI compatible , there are no HDMI jack
    on the tv therefore I cannot connect it through an hdmi cable , th
    cable is too short anyways
    I only have a DVI jack on the back of the tv that I plugged my vide
    card to , but nothing popped up on the scree

    PcGAmeR22, Aug 29, 2013
  4. PcGAmeR22

    Paul Guest

    I don't know if this is going to help, but...

    1) I assume the TV is DVI-D and "just digital". If so,
    that's the best option for the card at the moment.
    That should work.

    2) You can experiment with utilities.

    In this picture, on the right is Moninfo
    ( http://www.entechtaiwan.com/util/moninfo.shtm )
    Currently, it shows only one entry as "real time".
    That means, it has detected one device on the serial
    interface on the video card port. It is not detecting
    a second monitor. So only one EDID inside a monitor,
    can be seen by Moninfo.

    http://imageshack.us/a/img689/4167/whh2.gif

    Also on my sample Imageshack picture, is the Display
    control panel.

    So this was my experiment.

    1) System normally has one monitor.
    2) I connected a second monitor connector. I have a "dongle"
    which just has termination resistors on it. The purpose
    of such a resistor is to cause the video card "detection"
    to be triggered. This is not a real monitor, just a portion
    of the electrical interface. Enough to fool it into thinking
    a second monitor is connected.
    3) When I go to Display control panel in Windows 8.1, the
    "new monitor is not detected". I assume that means no signal
    is being sent to it. Even though the termination resistors
    are present. I must click the "Detect" button, before the
    second monitor is detected. My dongle device has no EDID chip,
    so resolution info is not available.
    4) Once "Detect" is clicked, the Display control panel selects
    1024x768 as a safe resolution value. If it was a real monitor,
    there would be a picture on it now. It seemed the desktop
    went into Span mode immediately. (This is on Win 8.1 Preview).
    5) The display on Moninfo doesn't change during all of this.
    Even if Moninfo "Refresh" option is used. This tells me,
    the "real time" option on Moninfo, only detects things with
    an actual EDID. My dongle has no EDID. There are boxes you
    can buy with fake EDID, but I didn't bother with this
    option as part of my test items. If I want an EDID, I can
    plug in an actual second monitor.

    You can use Moninfo, to see if the EDID of the TV is present.
    You can try the Display panel "Detect" function, if available.
    Maybe the terminations on the TV will be detected that way
    (i.e. if the automatic hardware detection isn't working).

    It's possible some info is not reaching the computer.

    1) EDID not present (serial info that says what resolutions
    are supported by the TV).
    2) Termination resistors (present in the TV set) are not
    detected. This is unlikely.
    3) Some handshake, like HDCP, is failing. I don't know of
    a utility that gives this info. I haven't a clue how you
    monitor it.
    4) Driver is determined not to allow a second monitor
    to detect. This will take a ton of experiments to bypass,
    if true. Like, trying an older driver if available. Or
    trying more port combos. Personally, I would expect the
    DVI connectors to work, and I'd test them first.
    5) Hardware could be broken. That seems unlikely. Between
    the Display control panel and Moninfo, if they appear to
    be working as intended, you might be more inclined to
    suspect this.

    When I've heard of troubles, it was usually with a monitor
    via HDMI and a computer video card. DVI should be a bit better.

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Aug 29, 2013