    "aaaaaaaahhhhhh..."...

    MC.

    Martin Crozier, Jan 12, 2004

  2. Martin Crozier

    J. Clarke Guest

    What do you mean " it lists two displays but won't let me activate them"?
    DVI is one standard. You can download it from <http://www.ddwg.org>--it's
    free but you have to register--it's heavy going though and I'm not sure it
    will help you all that much.

    It allows for three possibilities--an analog-only device, a digital-only
    device, and a device that can work with either. DVI-A is analog only,
    DVI-D is digital only, DVI-I integrates the two types. Most video boards
    have DVI-I connectors and any adapter that carries DVI to VGA will have at
    least the DVI-A pinning--there is no reason for it to have anything else
    since an analog monitor can't use anything else.

    Your best bet, to be _sure_ you have the right part, is to just order off
    the ATI site--they'll sell you one for $5US and shipping. If you're not in
    the US or Canada ATI recommends <http://www.videocapturecard.com/ati.html>,
    which wants $11.95 including shipping. I note that their adapter, while
    not identical in appearance to the one that ATI provides, does, if the
    photo on their site is correct, have all the pins present as does the ATI
    connector--I have no idea what it does with the ones that aren't required
    to implement DVI-A--presumably there is some subtlety of the ATI boards
    that requires that some trick be played with the pinning.

    J. Clarke, Jan 12, 2004

  3. Martin Crozier

    Kent_Diego Guest

    It's a little tough to figure out how to enable dual monitors in "Extended
    Desktop" mode.

    First turn on VGA output #2.
    Right click on Desktop and select Properties>Settings>Advanced. Select
    Displays and you will see four possible displays. The upper left should be
    on as it is your primary display. Enable the upper right monitor by clicking
    red(off)/green(on) O/I button to enable output #2. If you see indenicall
    images on each monitor, this part is done. Click OK.

    Now enable "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".

    Right click on Desktop and select Properties>Settings (you should be here
    already). Click on the right blue box that say's 2. This allows you to
    adjust second monitor. Check "Extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor".
    Click OK.

    Now you are in fat city!

    I use Multires from:
    http://www.entechtaiwan.com have link in startup directory. Multires will
    detect both monitors at re-boot and give SysTray icons to set independant
    resolution/refresh rates.

    -Kent

    Kent_Diego, Jan 13, 2004