DVR-105, kernel panics, and updated firmware

Discussion in 'Apple' started by Steven Kan, Oct 12, 2003.

  1. Steven Kan

    Steven Kan Guest

    Posted for posterity:

    I bought a DVR-105 (whitebox) a while back, and I'd been having kernel
    panics in 10.2.6. After doing some reading I decided to update the
    firmware to 1.33 via the instructions here:

    http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/archives/jun03/061103.html#S15650

    (requires booting into OS 9, running the Pioneer-supplied firmware
    updater with the firmware file they supply for the PC).

    After rebooting in 10.2.6 the drive didn't work any more. Volumes
    wouldn't mount and I couldn't even eject/open the drive reliably.

    Today I updated to 10.2.8 and everything seems to be fine again. I've
    not done a complete test, but I can mount CDs, play audio CDs, and
    I've burnt one data CD w/o a problem.

    HTH!

    Steven Kan, Oct 12, 2003