dying Highpoint 374 controller?

Discussion in 'Abit' started by David Shorthouse, May 9, 2004.

  1. Hey folks,

    I have been getting consistent event ID #11 errors ("The driver detected
    a controller error on \Device\Harddisk1\D.") under Windows XP Pro SP1 when
    resuming from suspend to RAM. It appears the power management for the RAID
    controller is flaky at best. I never had any read/write errors, data lost,
    etc. so just chalked the error up to poor timing from a resume from suspend.
    The mobo is an IT7 and the BIOS and driver version are both 1.23 for the
    Highpoint controller.
    Now here's the catch, if I download and install the MS hotfix for USB
    power management on their Windows Update page
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=822603), this completely messes up my
    Highpoint controller's ability to resume from suspend. Seems the file system
    structure on the RAID0 partitions get temporarily f*ck*ed and I have to
    reboot and pray that nothing was wiped out.
    This hotfix WILL be rolled into SP2 and if I install that when the time
    comes (and I will probably want to do that), then my system will be hosed if
    I want to continue using suspend to RAM. I have written Highpoint about this
    several times since the USB power management hotfix was released almost a
    year ago, and I did not receive any response so it is unlikely that this
    issue will ever be resolved, no matter how critical it is....disappearing
    data and messed-up HDDs because of a lousy driver seems critical to me!

    Assuming this will never be fixed, I'll be forced to ditch my board and
    get another. So my question is, is resume from suspend to RAM on any of the
    current SATA boards flawless and errorless with RAID0 set-up?

    Thanks,

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, May 9, 2004

  2. David Shorthouse

    TomG Guest

    resume from S3 standby is not flawless on my IC7-G SATA Intel ICH5R raid 0
    board... most often, it will resume without issue but once in a while, it
    does not resume and hangs. what happens next depends on what the system
    feels like doing as it will sometimes recover after a reset with nothing
    more than a chkdsk of the drives and other times, it will take out a
    partition on the raid. once in a blue moon, and this seems to be fixed for
    the most part by the most recent raid ROM bios update, the raid array would
    appear in the Intel bios in a invalid state and I would have to tell it that
    the two drives it detected do, indeed, belong to the array.

    after the recovery, things usually went okay. S3 standby can also be
    impacted by various installed hardware and software that decides not to play
    nice...

    have you tried to see what happens with hibernate?

    --

    Thomas Geery
    Network+ certified

    ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
    over 130,000 FTP users served!
    ^^^^^^^

    TomG, May 9, 2004

  3. Yikes! This is not pretty. You'd think these sorts of problems would be on
    hardware vendors' top priority lists, especially since a lot more people are
    using S3 than in the past. Guess I won't be looking to replace my board when
    Windows XP SP2 is released and nor will I install SP2. RAID0 and system
    stability are more important to me than fluffy security fixes. The last
    thing I would want with a service pack release is to completely mess up all
    my data.

    Hibernate seems to work just fine without any problem, but takes far too
    long for my liking. I have Remote Desktop, a VPN, and a small web server
    running on this machine behind a NAT router so I need it to be a lot more
    responsive than the 30-40 seconds it takes to resume from hibernation.

    Dave

    David Shorthouse, May 10, 2004
  4. David Shorthouse

    TomG Guest

    I use stand by almost every day and generally do not have an issue with it.

    TomG, May 10, 2004