    stuff 95% of the time or greater (my kid might play sims2 once in a
    blue moon on it).

    Thanks and sorry for all the questions :( .

    RnR, Nov 9, 2006

  2. RnR

    RnR Guest

    So far I've got this link:
    http://www.cnet.com/4520-6022_1-6410042-1.html

    Assuming this info to be true (benchmarks tho always seem to be double
    or greater of real life observations to me) I guess I should go for
    the duo over the solo due to battery life.

    If you can add any info to your experiences, please do so. thanks.

    RnR, Nov 9, 2006

  3. RnR

    Tom Scales Guest

    Read the previous thread called "new computer", particularly Barry's post.
    It is a desktop focus, but it all still applies.

    Laptops last longer than desktops, so buy something that will last. A few
    hundred more now is worth it.

    Personally, I'd suggest the Core 2 Duo T7200, for the same reason Barry
    recommended the E6600 for the desktop. It's the 4mb cache version and will
    be significantly faster.

    I'd also choose the 80GB 7200rpm drive over the 120GB, which would likely be
    5400. Huge speed improvement.

    Lastly, because it uses shared video memory, get at least 1gb, or preferably
    2gb of memory.

    Enjoy.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Nov 9, 2006
  4. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    No... buy cheap and often is what many of us recommend. Well maybe
    scratch that and say a few of us. Anyway, you will thank us later.
    Computers are outdated way too fast to pay *big* bucks for and have it
    outdated in 6 months anyway.

    BillW50, Nov 9, 2006
  5. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Damn. That means my Latitude CPxJ 650mhz (WinXP SP2) must be thrown away,
    like, 5 years ago. (g)

    Depends on a lot of factors. My machine would've been around $3 grand back
    in '99/'00.

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 9, 2006
  6. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    Today a system for less than $500 would blow that system away. :)

    BillW50, Nov 9, 2006
  7. Core Duo, I think. It may not matter much on some of today's software,
    but it will matter more in the future, and the difference in price is small.

    [Note, you said Core Duo, and I presume that you meant that and not the
    still faster Core 2 Duo]

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  8. RnR

    Jay B Guest

    it sounds like you're trying to spend as little as possible for a
    laptop, and that's fine. i wouldnt spend the extra money for a coreduo
    in your case, when you can spend the same money for a core2. so the rule
    is not to buy a core duo unless you got a really really good price, i
    mean around $500. otherwise, you can get sore solo, or the model 1300
    for around $500 on sale.

    Jay B, Nov 10, 2006
  9. RnR

    me Guest

    This is the strategy I'm taking form now on out.

    I will buy bargain value laptops....keep them a year or
    so and resale them on ebay and buy the latest cheapest
    thing.

    I spent over 3k on a Dell Pentium with 20"
    Trinitron.... only to watch it become worthless

    me, Nov 10, 2006
  10. RnR

    me Guest

    Instead of the core duo models....what abt buying the
    much cheaper celeron m models but loading them up with
    a lot more ram?

    Like original poster cost is a factor for me... but
    also want very long battery life. Does the celeron m
    get better battery life?

    me, Nov 10, 2006
  11. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Yeah, and it if lasts a year or two, it might still blow it away - or not if
    it doesn't. Considering mine is 7 years old w/no hardware replacement, you
    can have the cheapie.

    Be sure to ask for a Celeron.

    S.Lewis, Nov 10, 2006
  12. RnR

    Jay B Guest

    why buy celeron (which really sucks) when you can buy a p4 coresolo or
    pent M for about the same price on sale.

    Jay B, Nov 10, 2006
  13. In the laptop mobile processor product line, there is very little
    difference --- single digit percentages only --- between Core Duo and
    Core 2 Duo at the same clock speeds. Note that this is not true in the
    desktop product line, where Core 2 Duo is dramatically superior.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  14. God no. Although in the past at times the Celeron has made sense, in
    the current market, with current price points where they are, Celeron
    makes no sense at all. You give up 30% to 50% of performance to save
    less than $100.

    Keep in mind that both Circuit City and Best Buy have had the Toshiba
    M115 laptops (essentially equivalent to an E1505) on sale for under $600
    with CORE DUO processor, Windows MCE and DVD burner. When you get that
    for $600, it makes no sense to spend $500 for a Celeron with half the
    performance.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  15. That should read "essentially equivalent to an E1405", not an E1505.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  16. RnR

    me Guest

    I agree

    But I haven't seen any of those at as low of price as
    celeron m package

    I will chk again however

    me, Nov 10, 2006
  17. RnR

    me Guest

    What makes the desktop version so much better?

    me, Nov 10, 2006
  18. The Core 2 Duo came out of the same Intel group (in Intel Israel design
    center) that had been developing the mobile processors anyway for
    several years. With Core 2 Duo, that group also took over the desktop
    processors. They were years ahead of the group that had been doing the
    Intel desktop processors based on the "netburst" design.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  19. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    My last 3 laptops are Celerons. lol

    '84 Epson PX-8 Geneva (still works)
    '89 Sharp PC-4501 (still works)
    '94 Toshiba T1950CS (dead, cooked itself)
    '99 Toshiba 2595XDVD (still works)
    '99 Toshiba 2595XDVD (sill works except can't read DVD anymore)
    '05 Gateway MX6124 (still works)

    So you can't prove it by me. In the last 22 years and 6 laptops later,
    one died. Not a bad record if you ask me. And half of them are Celerons
    as well. And I can't believe this last Celeron actually has enough power
    to run both RealFlight G2 and MS Flight Simulator as well. I would have
    never guessed especially the latter. So as you were saying?

    BillW50, Nov 10, 2006
  20. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    Yeap I know! It doesn't make sense and spend a lot of money on laptops
    for most of us. I'm glad some of us are seeing right through the
    marketing hype. :)

    BillW50, Nov 10, 2006