    and that Epson you can't set the date past 1999, but it will rollover
    just fine. I guess nobody thought someone would still be using them 16
    years later. lol

    BillW50, Nov 10, 2006

  2. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I'm with you Bill on this. After once buying a top of the line
    Gateway and years later seeing it become low end and never really
    using it to it's full potential, I don't need top of the line
    performance for top of the line pricing. Actually now I don't care
    about its value (after purchase) but do care about it's ability to get
    the job done in reasonable time. A few seconds slower doesn't bother
    me as I don't really do anything that demanding on it 95% of the time.

    RnR, Nov 10, 2006

  3. RnR

    me Guest

    well...I'm just NOW seeing it this way. <g>

    me, Nov 10, 2006
  4. I understand the "buy cheap and often", but these days you can buy the
    good laptops cheap. The E1505 is a good example: Dell FREQUENTLY
    (although not right now, as it happens) has "30% off $1,299" coupons
    listed on techbargains. That means that for $901 you can get $1,300
    worth of laptop. You can pretty much put everything into an E1505 for
    that price ... Core 2 Duo, DVD burner, 1GB (or even 2GB) of memory,
    advanced video and LCD, 120GB hard drive. Sure, you can get a really,
    really dumbed down Celeron for $599 (maybe even $500), but the
    difference here is huge and buying THAT cheap doesn't make sense, in my
    view. On the other hand, the guys who spend $3,000 (or even $1,500) on
    a laptop are nuts.

    Barry Watzman, Nov 10, 2006
  5. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    As I was saying, I'm really glad I'm not you or counting on you to purchase
    my hardware for me. Enjoy your Celerons, Durons, and Semprons.

    That is all. lol. lol. lol.

    ..

    S.Lewis, Nov 10, 2006
  6. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Bill,

    You not only have a grasp of the obvious, but you have a stranglehold upon
    it.

    I do believe you're the smartest sunsabitch I've ever met on usenet. When I
    grow up, I want to be sort of like you.

    Is there anything you don't know? I'm sorry I even asked.....

    Stew

    S.Lewis, Nov 10, 2006
  7. RnR

    Saml Guest

    Right now Circuit City has an Acer Aspire 15.4" for $599.99 on their web
    site (after discount and a rebate.) 1Gb, 80mb h/d, AMD Turion 64 MK-36, MS
    Mdeia Center, DVD burner. They claim it is regularly $749.99. Seems like
    good value, but I'm no expert. I may go look at it in the store tomorrow.

    Sam

    Saml, Nov 11, 2006
  8. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    And thank you! As it is people like you which drives technology to keep
    doubling computer power every 18 months. Without you people personally
    funding all of the research, I couldn't enjoy cheaper and cheaper
    computers for next to nothing. <grin>

    BillW50, Nov 11, 2006
  9. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    Yes there are lots of things I don't know about actually. But my first
    computer was the VTAS computer built for NASA by Honeywell for the moon
    lander. So I have seen many things during my time and few things
    surprise me anymore.

    But you don't need a lot of experience and knowledge to know what you
    pay today will be obsolete in about a year anyway. As to keep up, you
    have to buy a new high tech laptop for big bucks once again.

    Or you can not play the game and just go cheap. So technologically wise,
    it is already outdated by about a year. Which is ok, because it is much
    faster than you had before. Plus it is about half the price of what it
    was a year ago because manufactures want to move them out to make room
    for the latest and greatest hardware.

    Now think about it for the second... you bragged about buying expensive
    and then pushing it for 7 years or so. While I buy one year later and
    get the same power as you did for half of the price and I push it 7
    years or so as well. So what's the difference? Not much, except I pay
    half as much as you do. And you don't have to be a rocket scientist to
    figure that one out.

    BillW50, Nov 11, 2006
  10. RnR

    RnR Guest

    I find myself in an awkward position because I like both of you (Bill
    for his candor and Stew for his tech knowledge/willingness to help
    attitude) so hope you two can stop pickering.

    Stew, I have to agree tho with Bill about staying a notch below the
    cutting edge (for most not all of us) unless you just have the money
    and want cutting edge. Truthfully most would be wise to buy a notch
    or two below cutting edge and save a lot of money. I don't know if
    I'd keep my systems as long as Bill has but as my dad use to say, if
    it's not broke don't fix it ... meaning if it works for him, why
    upgrade. Personally I like one or two notches below because after
    keeping my systems for 4 to 6 years, that will be like luxury to
    me.... kinda reminds me of buying a car; had my old Honda Accord for
    12 years and replaced it with same in 03. The new one basically had
    no options (mainly std features) but when compared to my older one, it
    was like a luxury car to me <grin>.

    Anyway Stew, Bill, lets be one happy family <grin> !!

    RnR, Nov 11, 2006
  11. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    We are as far as I know. And I do like Stew as well. He is just from the
    other side of the tracks than where I am from. <grin>

    BillW50, Nov 11, 2006
  12. RnR

    me Guest

    Bingo!

    me, Nov 11, 2006
  13. RnR

    me Guest

    Agree

    Best to find the "sweet" spot and buy that.

    But I'm partial to small laptop and they are much
    costlier

    I will settle for a 14.1 incher tho.

    me, Nov 11, 2006
  14. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Not unlike, say, a Toyota versus a KIA.

    I'm sure there are people who really love their KIAs.

    Different strokes.

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2006
  15. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    Does automobile technology double every 18 months? No! lol

    BillW50, Nov 11, 2006
  16. RnR

    S.Lewis Guest

    Value is value, Bill. I haven't bought a brand new laptop in years. I
    personally prefer to find Latitudes a year or so old with 2 or more years of
    premium warranty remaining (including accidental coverage.)

    PCs typically depreciate about as badly as vehicles and I don't have money
    to waste. I use the same logic with vehicles as well.

    You're certainly welcome to embrace Celerons. Again, I don't advocate buying
    top of the line new unless money is no object; I prefer to look at
    performance, reliablility and value.

    Having worked on many, many Celerons, I'll never own one nor will I
    recommend them.

    S.Lewis, Nov 11, 2006
  17. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    That works for me Stew. Although since I'm an electrical engineer, I
    don't care if I get a warrantee or not. This last laptop was refurbished
    with only a 90 days warrantee. And it is almost 4 months old without any
    sign of trouble. Hopefully it will stay that way. And oddly enough in
    the past 22 years buying laptops, I never had to work on any of them
    yet.
    Well not the really old still working ones. Collectors love them and
    will sometimes pay you what they cost when new. :)
    Well same here. I though you were one of those guys who loved those
    $3000 plus laptops. ;)
    I have owned 4 Celerons. And the first 3 of them are not very hot at all
    (two 400MHZ and one 533MHZ). Although this current one has a Celeron M
    1.5GHZ. And it is quite impressive to me. And I believe there is a big
    difference between those original Celerons and these newer ones. I also
    use a P4 3.2GHZ and a Pentium D 2.8GHZ desktops to compare it too. And
    this Celeron M does a fine job on keeping up with my work. Those older
    Celerons are just awful though. Click and wait, click and wait. lol

    BillW50, Nov 12, 2006
  18. RnR

    BillW50 Guest

    Another thing to remember Stew, is that the amount of memory is more
    important than the CPU in most users opinion. And that one Celeron
    533MHZ desktop was running only 64MB of RAM under Windows 98SE.

    One Toshiba 2595XDVD 400MHZ Celeron is running Windows 98SE with 192MB
    of RAM (maxed out).

    The second Toshiba 2595XDVD 400MHZ Celeron is running Windows 2000 with
    192MB of RAM (maxed out).

    And this Gateway MX6124, is running a Celeron 1.5GHZ with 512MB of RAM
    under Windows XP Home (it can take up to 2GB of RAM). And it runs all of
    my software just wonderful. <grin>

    BillW50, Nov 12, 2006