E250/DDS-3 SCSI tape drive not recognised

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by Tony van Lingen, Jun 26, 2003.

  1. All,

    I've got an external Digital SCSI SE tape drive, which I wanted to connect to
    the external SCSI port of a Sun Enterprise 250. As soon as I do that, the
    tape drive locks up (all lights except for the on/off indicator light go
    off, the tape won't eject). When I disconnect the SCSI cable and
    terminator, the statuslight on the drive comes back on and the tape ejects
    as normal.

    The server does not see the tape drive when the cable and terminator are
    connected, not even at the ok prompt with "probe-scsi". The tape drive
    and the scsi port on the server both have the same SCSI diamond symbol (a
    single diamond with a dash in the righthand corner).

    This tapedrive works perfectly on a Dell workstation with an internal SCSI
    card.

    I would be grateful for any suggestions.

    Cheers,
    Tony

    Tony van Lingen, Jun 26, 2003

  2. What SCSI ID are you using? What about the cable?

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jun 26, 2003

  3. I tried ID 1 and ID 4. The cable is brand-new Centronics (tape end) to
    wide-scsi (server end)

    Tony

    Tony van Lingen, Jun 26, 2003
  4. An ID of 4 or 5 should be OK. Check that there's no conflict with
    the ID. The cable might be suspect. See if you have another one
    that you can try.

    -am © 2003

    Anthony Mandic, Jun 26, 2003
  5. Gee do I feel stupid! :-( How could I possibly trust that a new cable
    straight out of the wrapper would work? It was the cable all right.
    Thanks...

    Tony

    Tony van Lingen, Jun 26, 2003