E3500 boot failure

Discussion in 'Sun Hardware' started by MichaelETP, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. MichaelETP

    MichaelETP Guest

    Hello all,

    I am having a hell of time with one of our E3500's.

    Each time I try to boot it goes through its normal checks until it
    displays the following error message:
    (the fc cables have been checked and eliminated as a problem)

    **************************************
    No ONLINE status! please check H/W or cable.
    Port #1 received soc-status=14 loop 0 is OFFLINE
    Port #1 received soc-status=14 loop 1 is ONLINE
    Invalid wwn number 21000020 3708cd0a
    Boot device: net file and args:
    Using Onboard Transceiver - Link Up.
    Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
    **************************************

    This problem started on Port #0 and I reinstalled the o/s after
    reconfiguring the hardware with only 4 drives on port#1.
    The o/s installed without problems and then would not boot.

    I am using this machine to build an ip4/ip6 router and tunnel broker
    for an openvpn setup so I can scale back to 2 or 4 processors and 2 or
    4 drives on a single port or on two ports if I have to.

    It seems that I need to replace a board or two but I need to narrow
    down which one (one's) may be the culprit. I'm trying to avoid trial
    and error replacements which will end up costing a lot more than just
    trying to fix the problem with an educated guess.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Thanks
    Thanks

    Michael

    MichaelETP, Jun 6, 2006

  2. MichaelETP

    B. Wright Guest

    You're booting off the FC drives right? What is the boot-device
    set too? I'd have a guess that it's set too boot off the FC loop and
    looking for a device with a wwn listed above, which, probably doesn't
    exist (maybe that was the boot disk in a previous life and changed).
    Figure out what it really should be and change the boot-device setting
    in the nvram to correspond to the proper wwn.

    B. Wright, Jun 10, 2006