E4300 and 650i overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Phil Weldon, Mar 24, 2007.

  1. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    '~misfit~' wrote:
    | Ahh, OK. having done some research I now know that diamonds are *very*
    | thermally conductive. I only hope that your paste has a high percentage of
    | diamonds to carrier. Maybe you could heat it and hope that the diamonds
    | settle? Probably not at that size.
    |
    | Anyway, good luck. :)
    Glad to hear from you. Having tried butter as a thermal grease, I guess I'm
    willing to try anything B^) Diamond is extraordinarily conductive for heat
    (also, unfortunately, diamond is also very conductive electrically.) If I
    remember correctly, there are two axes for thermal conduction, the less
    conductive axis is about twice as conductive as copper and the more
    conductive axis is about seven times as conductive as copper. With random
    orientation that is still going to be at least twice as conductive as silver
    (or so I suppose.) Diamonds for machining have really dropped in price; at
    McMaster-Carr (which is NOT a low cost tool and material supply house), a
    one carat diamond, mounted for use in shaping surface grinder wheels, is
    less than $65 US. The fine stuff for lapping should be even cheaper, so
    five grams should have quite a bit of diamond powder. I'd guess that the
    major expense is separating the particles by size. The finest grade is
    likely TOO fine. But for < $7 US, I'm willing to try it. Graphite didn't
    work out well for me, but maybe diamond will show promise. Then there's the
    possibility that the oil based carrier will be to thin. I've just looked at
    the Intel boxed retail E4300, and it comes with thermal compound already
    applied to the heatsink. Evidently these Core 2 Duos have MUCH flatter and
    smoother surfaces than past CPUs. The amount of compound is so small that
    not only will the coverage be translucent, it will be darn near invisible.

    I do plan to test the 'diamond grease' in a jig before I consider using it
    on a CPU.

    The motherboard is so densely packed that anything short of chilling the
    entire case volume is going to be tricky, especially since there are FOUR
    heatsinks in addition to the CPU heatsink; two chipset heatsinks connected
    by a heat pipe and using a fan and two DC-DC voltage converter-regulator
    strip heatsinks without fans. And then there are the memory heatsink. All
    will need adequate airflow.

    So far I have all the pieces except for the two memory modules. I order
    everything else from ZipFlyZoom.com (at the same time as I order the memory
    modules from newEgg (ZipFlyZoom was backordered.) Both orders placed about
    2 PM Wednesday. The ZipFlyZoom order arrived about 2 PM Friday via 2nd day
    FedEx - 13# for ~ $10 US. The newEgg order is scheduled to arrive Monday
    via 2 day UPS - 6 ounces for ~ $4 US.

    I agreed with Ed Medlin about the power requirements and picked up an Antec
    550 Neo HE ( three 12 VDC rails, 18 Amps each) at a CompUSA going out of
    business sale.

    If this turns into a blog, just shoot me ... please.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 31, 2007

  2. Phil Weldon

    Amir Facade Guest

    No worries about that.
    Those of us watching this thread can't wait for the results.
    Keep 'em coming.
    Amir

    Amir Facade, Mar 31, 2007

  3. Phil Weldon

    Fishface Guest

    Having waited this long, I don't know why you didn't just
    wait the extra month for the Core 2 Duo price drops.

    Fishface, Mar 31, 2007
  4. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Amir Facade' wrote:
    | No worries about that.
    | Those of us watching this thread can't wait for the results.
    | Keep 'em coming.
    _____

    Update, Day 2.

    Manuals.

    * It turns out to be a very good thing that a manual for the EVGA 680i
    motherboard is easily obtainable at the EVGA website. No manual is included
    in the box, just a 8" X 10" 'quick install' card. Perhaps a manual in PDF
    format is somewhere on the driver disk (though it is not mentioned.)

    * The EVGA nVidia 8800 GTS card comes with a nice slick manual;
    unfortunately is for AGP cards using Windows 98/ME/2000. Again, perhaps
    there is a PDF manual on the driver disk, though it is not mentioned.

    Power connections:

    * Motherboard power connector are multiplying. The EVGA 680i has eleven:
    1 X 24 pin ATX connector
    1 X 8 pin +12 VDC CPU power connector
    1 X 4 pin CPU fan connector
    1 X 3 pin chipset fan connector
    6 X 3 pin fan connectors
    1 X 4 pin Molex connector (PCI-E aux power?)
    * Motherboard rear I/O connectors are multiplying (18)
    * Motherboard on-board I/0 connectors are multiplying ( ~ 20)

    So far the layout looks good, though quite crowded. I can see right away
    that many after market coolers have no chance of fitting unless the main
    chipset cooler is replaced. But WHY did they decide to provide machine
    screws as small as 1.5 mm ( .06" ) to attach the chipset fan? One heavy
    sigh as you try to start the screws and they're gone with the wind.

    I think I'll do extensive measurements for clearances before beginning the
    assembly. And change the subject line to 'E4300 and 680i overclocking' to
    reflect the chipset change.

    Phil Weldon

    | No worries about that.
    | Those of us watching this thread can't wait for the results.
    | Keep 'em coming.
    | Amir
    |

    | | > '~misfit~' wrote:
    | > | Ahh, OK. having done some research I now know that diamonds are *very*
    | > | thermally conductive. I only hope that your paste has a high
    percentage
    | > of
    | > | diamonds to carrier. Maybe you could heat it and hope that the
    diamonds
    | > | settle? Probably not at that size.
    | > |
> [...]
    | > All
    | > will need adequate airflow.
    | >
    | > So far I have all the pieces except for the two memory modules. I order
    | > everything else from ZipFlyZoom.com (at the same time as I order the
    | > memory
    | > modules from newEgg (ZipFlyZoom was backordered.) Both orders placed
    | > about
    | > 2 PM Wednesday. The ZipFlyZoom order arrived about 2 PM Friday via 2nd
    | > day
    | > FedEx - 13# for ~ $10 US. The newEgg order is scheduled to arrive
    Monday
    | > via 2 day UPS - 6 ounces for ~ $4 US.
    | >
    | > I agreed with Ed Medlin about the power requirements and picked up an
    | > Antec
    | > 550 Neo HE ( three 12 VDC rails, 18 Amps each) at a CompUSA going out of
    | > business sale.
    | >
    | > If this turns into a blog, just shoot me ... please.

    | > |
    | > | Ahh, OK. having done some research I now know that diamonds are *very*
    | > | thermally conductive. I only hope that your paste has a high
    percentage
    | > of
    | > | diamonds to carrier. Maybe you could heat it and hope that the
    diamonds
    | > | settle? Probably not at that size.
    | > |
    | > | Anyway, good luck. :)
    | > | --
    | > | Shaun.
    | > |
    | > |

    Phil Weldon, Mar 31, 2007
  5. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Fishface' wrote:
    | Having waited this long, I don't know why you didn't just
    | wait the extra month for the Core 2 Duo price drops.
    _____

    Because I did not pick the Core 2 Duo E4300 for price. Because the CPU
    price is now a small fraction of the display
    adapter/motherboard/memory/power supply cost. Because a 65 nm quad won't
    show me anything that the E4300 won't.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Mar 31, 2007
  6. Phil Weldon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I do the same. If I wait until the price drops, something new has been
    released that interests me and so on. The price on the 4300s began so low
    compared to previous offerings, so I doubt that there will be a huge
    difference when considered in the whole scheme of things.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 1, 2007
  7. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    | I do the same. If I wait until the price drops, something new has been
    | released that interests me and so on. The price on the 4300s began so low
    | compared to previous offerings, so I doubt that there will be a huge
    | difference when considered in the whole scheme of things.
    _____

    Let's see, mmm... I have the time do build it this week, but otherwise not
    for the next month ... is that worth the price of a movie, parking, coke and
    popcorn to me ... mmm. Yeah.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 1, 2007
  8. Phil Weldon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    Lets see........Wife and I are going to the Corrales vs Clottey boxing match
    next Sat. Since it is a Showtime fight, tickets and parking costs are close
    to an E6600........LOL..........BTW, I think I am going to go the E6600
    route in a couple weeks probably starting with air cooling and then water.
    Maybe we can compare some benches and see how it all works out. Something
    tells me that you might win out if only in the cooling area. It will be an
    interesting project anyway.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 2, 2007
  9. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ed Medlin' wrote:
    | Lets see........Wife and I are going to the Corrales vs Clottey boxing
    match
    | next Sat. Since it is a Showtime fight, tickets and parking costs are
    close
    | to an E6600........LOL..........BTW, I think I am going to go the E6600
    | route in a couple weeks probably starting with air cooling and then water.
    | Maybe we can compare some benches and see how it all works out. Something
    | tells me that you might win out if only in the cooling area. It will be an
    | interesting project anyway.
    _____

    It'd be great to learn from each other in this experiment. I'm looking
    forward to it. Perhaps others will join in.

    Hmmm .... let's see, the championship game is here in Atlanta tonight; I
    could get a ticket, buy a QX6800 and two 8800 GTX, or watch the game on TV
    while I start putting my new system together. (checks wallet)
    Guess I'll be watching TV and nibbling fan holes.

    My memory arrived a few minutes ago, so everything is in hand for the first
    air-cooled iteration.

    One thing I hadn't considered before. The 775 socket system is not designed
    for more than a few dozen insert/removal cycles. I am putting a label with
    check boxes on the system case to keep track.

    *****
    Details about the EVGA 680i SLI 775 Motherboard

    At first sight my new EVGA 680i motherboard seems a solid reference design
    implementation.

    As best I can tell, EVGA, at present, makes two different 680i models, the
    680i SLI 775 and the 680i SLI 775 LT. The 680i LT is less expensive and
    drops certain features like the third graphics PCI-E slot (X16 physically,
    X8 electrically.)

    The nomenclature is a bit confusing. The 680i SLI 775 model comes in EIGHT
    different packages; the motherboard is identical in each package (save for a
    small modification in the versions ending in '1')
    122-CK-NF63-A1
    122-CK-NF63-AR
    122-CK-NF63-T1
    122-CK-NF63-TR
    122-CK-NF68-A1
    122-CK-NF68-AR
    122-CK-NF68-T1
    122-CK-NF68-TR.

    The four with 63 in the middle are for sale as part of a promotional package
    with a Core 2 Duo CPU.
    The A on the end indicates a package with a lifetime warranty plus extra
    cables and brackets.
    The T on the end indicates a package with a 2 year warranty and fewer cables
    and brackets.
    The 1 on the end indicates a modified motherboard that fixes a limitation on
    the FSB speed when overclocking a quad core CPU (free replacement RMA for TR
    and AR.)

    The manual is the same for all eight packages.
    The motherboard in each package has the following connectors
    Rear I/O panel data
    6 X USB
    2 X RJ45 ( 2 X Gigabit LAN)
    1 X PS2 keyboard
    1 X PS2 mouse
    1 X IEEE1394 (Firewire)
    6 X stereo 1/8" phone jacks
    1 X SPDIF
    Mainboard data
    2 X PCI-E X16 SLI graphics slots
    1 X PCI-E X8 (X16 physically) third graphics slot
    2 X PCI-E X1
    2 X PCI
    1 X Floppy
    1 X Parallel ATA
    6 X Serial ATA (with Raid 0,1,0/1, 5)
    4 X USB header
    1 X RS232 header
    1 X Front Panel Audio header
    1 X IEEE 1394a header

    Mainboard fan
    1 X 4-pin CPU fan
    1 X 3-pin Chipset fan
    1 X 3-pin VR fan
    1 X 3-pin System fan
    2 X 3-pin Chassis fan
    1 X 3-pin Aux fan

    Miscellaneous
    1 X 2-pin header silk screened 'Intruder'
    1 X 2-pin header location, no header installed, silk screened 'TPM
    Select' / 0* Protect / 1 Access /
    1 X 16-pin header location, no header installed, silk screened 'LPC
    Header', labeled in manual as 'Debug'

    Header, cable, bracket with 4 X USB
    Header, cable, bracket with 1 X IEEE1394
    Header, cable, bracket with 1 X RS232.

    The 'T' motherboard package includes the following cable / connectors
    1 X Floppy
    1 X Parallel 80 conductor cable
    2 X Serial ATA data cables
    1 X 4-pin in-line Molex to Serial ATA power connector Y adapter
    1 X SLI bridge (pc board)

    The 'A' motherboard package ADDS
    2 X Serial ATA data cables
    1 X header/cable/bracket w/ 4 USB sockets
    1 X header/cable/bracket w/ 1 RS232 socket.

    I haven't followed boxing in a long time; I think my earliest detailed
    memory of a match is listening on the radio to the 1959 Ingmar
    Johannson/Floyd Patterson fight in Stockholm. Earlier than that it's all
    "Look Sharp, Feel Sharp, Be Sharp ... Buy Gillette".

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 2, 2007
  10. Phil Weldon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Thanks. I check this group infrequently these days but always read your
    posts. :)
    Hehee! Yeah, I'm familiar with your TIM experiments.
    Wise move. I hope it pans out for you, fortune favours the brave they say.
    :)
    Yeah, with the amount of heat being produced in a modern, 'power-spec' PC,
    you need the equivalent of a hurricane passing through your case.
    Hehee! I thought I was the only one who thinks blogs are for perverse
    extroverts.

    Please, keep us informed of your progress. It's good to hear from someone
    who knows what they're doing rather than dreamers or rich-kid guess-and-hope
    guys. <g>

    BTW, for some reason I LOL'ed when I read you say this in another post:

    "My memory arrived a few minutes ago...."

    Just struck me as funny. <shrug>

    Good luck with the build.

    Regards,

    ~misfit~, Apr 4, 2007
  11. Phil Weldon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    hehehe...........I thought about saying something about that too Shaun. The
    only problem is that when you get to our age it seems that our memory always
    arrives a bit late.......:)

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 4, 2007
  12. Phil Weldon

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Indeed it does Ed. Oh well, as long as it arrives eh? :)

    ~misfit~, Apr 4, 2007
  13. Phil Weldon

    Thomas Guest

    Well, I've been looking some more, and figure I'll be going the Intel 965
    way... Mainly financial reasons ;-) Also, I read the NVidia chipsets use way
    more power than the Intels do. Performance of the 680i *is* better, but
    nearly immeasurably so.

    *The shortlist*:
    Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 S775 I965P ATX
    CPU: Intel CORE 2 DUO E4300 1.8GHZ
    Memory: Kingston 2GB 800MHZ DDR2 LOW-LATENCY CL4
    Video: Asus EN8800GTS/HTDP/320M GF8800GTS
    DVD+-RW: Samsung DVD+-R/RW/DL/RAM/LS SATA BULK
    PC case: Antec ATLAS EC: ATLAS EC 550W (truepower) ATX
    Harddisk: Seagate BARRACUDA 7200.10 320GB SATAII

    All this for just short of 1000 euro's. I can order it at one supplier here
    in the netherlands.

    Any remarks?

    Thomas, Apr 7, 2007
  14. Phil Weldon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I have been looking at I965 boards, but have decided to go with the NV650i
    route instead. I really have no preference as far as performance or price
    since they both are very close. One of the main reasons is that I would like
    to see how the performance numbers add up using the E4300 (Phil) and the
    E6600 (me) in overclocking. Using the same basic chipset would be comparing
    apples to apples instead of apples to oranges. I am going to try and use
    components as close as I can (maybe different brands) to his system just for
    comparison. Your system looks very good for the price. It is hard to believe
    that components have come down so much in price since my last build. I would
    go with 4gigs and probably faster memory (for overclocking headroom), but 2
    should work out fine. I will probably go with Vista sometime down the road,
    but since I have an extra XP Pro here I will use that for now. Vista loves
    extra memory and will use it. Keep us advised and we can compare some notes.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 7, 2007
  15. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ed Medlin' wrote:, in part:
    _____

    I seem to have 'buck fever', I can't pull the trigger B^(

    I've been prepping the case (Enlight server case, nine 5" bays and 1 3.5"
    bay in the front panel, ~ 8.75" wide X 17.5" high X 25" deep), checking
    component spacing, dressing cables, taking photos, finding technical
    questions in the motherboard documentation. And finishing my taxes.

    The front panel header for indicator LEDs and power switches has a different
    connection for the Power LED. There are two side-by-side pins, one is for a
    Power LED and the other is for a standby LED; the second terminal for each
    LED must be grounded. My case has plenty of LED indicators in the front
    panel (seven) but of course the Power LED connector from the front panel is
    a three pin plug with pin 1 and pin 3 connected, one being ground.

    With an SLI capable motherboard, when only one graphics board is installed
    it must be in the left most PCI-Ex X16 slot. In the case of the EVGA 680i
    motherboard this slot has one PCI slot between it and the left edge of the
    motherboard. The fan on the EVGA 8800 GTS is then only about an inch from
    the case bottom. I don't know the direction of the air flow, but it seems
    that a new hole in the case bottom will be in order.

    The present case fan complement is two 80 mm fans and one 120 mm fan.

    One last observation; the ~ 150 page manual doesn't get around to the
    connector and BIOS section until the halfway point. The first half is all
    about the nVidia Windows software functions for over clocking. There are
    nearly two dozen settable parameters for memory alone!

    Enjoy.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 8, 2007
  16. Phil Weldon

    Don Burnette Guest

    Fwiw, I have the EVGA 680i , along with the Core2 Duo E6600.
    I really like this mb with all it's settings, and it has been very stable
    for me since I put it together about 6 weeks ago.
    I have mine running 3.24 ghz ( cpu default is 2.4), with no problems. I
    could probably get it higher by upping the voltage, but am happy where it is
    now. I am running the Zalman 9700NT heatsink/fan on it.
    I also went with the faster PC8500 Corsair Extreme ram, and am glad I did,
    it really likes running at 1066 mhz.

    Don Burnette, Apr 8, 2007
  17. Phil Weldon

    Ed Medlin Guest

    I seem to have 'buck fever', I can't pull the trigger B^(
    Yep.....That is what I am in the middle of too. I sure as hell wish I had
    started earlier (say that every year).
    Yea. They put out about as much heat as the C2D probably.
    With that amount of OC'ing settings I am going to take a very hard look at
    them. The price is comparable to the Asus offerings I have seen. Asus has
    been my choice in MBs over the years, but EVGA has made some good inroads. I
    haven't decided on a case yet. My old Lian Li is going to remain housing my
    current I630 3.0g @ 3.6 system. It has lived through probably 5 internal
    systems and it is several years old. I have been looking at some cases that
    have water cooling already built into them. Do you have any suggestions on a
    water cooling system or ready-to-go cases? My old water cooling system is in
    a drawer and all over the place. I need to get new tubing and probably add
    at least 2-3 blocks so it is probably better, and even maybe cheaper to just
    start anew. I even found a couple of Peltiers in there...:). I doubt if I
    will use them, but it is an option if I try and get crazy.......:). I can't
    find any markings on them, so I don't have any idea on their wattage or if
    they even match. I do have an auxiliary PSU that I used with Peltiers in the
    past that fits into a PCI slot that uses external power that I used with
    Peltiers in the past. It even has a thermistor and will control fans' speed
    and will run 2-3 case fans too. It is a neat little item that Thermaltake
    made some 5-6 yrs ago for a short time.

    Ed

    Ed Medlin, Apr 8, 2007
  18. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Ed Medlin' wrote, in part:
    _____

    The manual for the nVidia chipset motherboards (at least in the case of
    EVGA) seem to have a great advantage over the manuals for motherboards that
    use other chipsets. nVidia evidently writes the manual. Consequently the
    quality is much better. And the text does not seem to have been translated
    back and forth among several languages. At least for those whose first
    language speakers. I'd hope the much greater resources of nVidia also
    result in better quality translations. Of course a few of the pitfalls of
    technical writing still crop up. (The ASUS 650i motherboard manual seems
    well written but is far less helpful.) nVidia also has overclocking manuals
    available for download.

    The April "Maximum PC" has a review of ten system cases in the $130 - $300
    range, at least on of which has grommetted holes for water cooling tubes.
    Convertible 19" rack mount server cases are very deep, leaving room for
    placing the entire water cooling system within the case (that

    When I move from air to water I'll a mix of components, most of which aren't
    meant for CPU cooling. The only part I am dissatisfied with is the pump. I
    have a Thermaltake water cooling system, I consider the radiator far too
    small and the pump inadequate. I have three CPU water blocks ranging from
    crude (drilled and tapped copper) to OK. I have two aquarium pumps with
    much greater flow, but I don't like that the aquarium pumps are 120 VAC (but
    still smaller than a fist.) Now that CPU power consumption has dropped I'll
    consider using two air cooled Peltier arrays on either side of the
    drilled/tapped copper water block with the cooled water pumped through the
    CPU water block.

    There is a very interesting connection system, 'Luer Lock'. The connectors
    are used for liquid transfer (intravenous drips and syringe needles for
    example.) A great variety is available; adaptors for plastic tubing,
    valves, tees four-way connectors, manifolds, .... The 'lock' is very
    positive and fluid tight, yet easy to engage/disengage. Unfortunately the
    internal diameter for fluid flow is only ~ 1/8 inch. That may require
    multiple tubes and/or higher pressures. At any rate I have dozens of these,
    some pretty exotic.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 9, 2007
  19. Phil Weldon

    Thomas Guest

    Thanks Ed. Well, I finally pushed the 'order' button... Your remarks, and a
    very good review of the Asus P5NE-SLI (650i) made me sway in that direction.
    Also, as I'm getting the 8800GTS, I now have the option of using SLI in the
    future. Thanks for the heads-up!

    About the memory, well, I'm still using XP, so for now, I'll stick to 2GB.
    Let's see what the future holds!

    Some components are on the waiting list, so it'll be about 2 weeks before I
    can start the build. Can't wait ;-)

    Thomas, Apr 9, 2007
  20. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    'Core 2 Duo and 680i overclocking'

    Or, things my mother never told me.

    I have begun assemble my EVGA 680i motherboard / Intel Core 2 Duo system.
    With this motherboard (and I imagine it is at least partially true for other
    SLI motherboards)

    (a.) when you use a single nVidia 8800 class display adapter
    (1.) you lose one PCI slot (out of two)
    (2.) the CMOS clear jumper can not be accessed without removing the
    display adapter
    (3.) the on-motherboard power and reset buttons can not be accessed
    (4.) the CMOS battery can not be changed without removing the
    display adapter
    (5.) one of the chassis fan connections may no longer be usable

    (b.) when you add a second nVidia 8800 class display adapter you lose one
    PCI-Ex X1 slot (out of two)

    (c.) the explanation for the Power LED in the EVGA 680i manual is WRONG;
    the header is non-standard; two POWER LED pins are actually are set to
    control TWO LEDs, one for POWER and one for STANDBY. Ground for the two
    LEDs (or one) must be 'stolen' from another pin (I'll use the GROUND pin for
    the HD LED and be thankful for a case that has extra indicator LEDs.

    On-motherboard Ethernet ports and on-motherboard audio now seem like a
    necessity rather than a luxury.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, Apr 10, 2007