E4300 overclocking with EVGA 680i motherboard

Discussion in 'Overclocking' started by Phil Weldon, May 13, 2007.

  1. Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon Guest

    Some results from my overclocking attempt with
    CPU: E4300 default CPU
    Core voltage: 1.3250 v
    Motherboard: EVGA 680i
    Memory: 2 X 1 GByte Patriot PDC22G8500ELK R (PC8500)
    Intel boxed retail heatsink/fan
    Room ambient temperature: 26 C

    Memory Bus: 1200 MHz
    CPU clock : Memory clock ratio 1:2
    Memory voltage 2.30 v
    Memory timing: 3 - 3 - 3 - 8 2T
    _____

    CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz
    FSB Speed: 1200 MHz
    CPU Core voltage: 1.25000 set, 1.21 v reported in BIOS 'System Monitor'
    page
    ** Stable with Orthos small FFTs
    _____

    CPU Speed: 3.15 GHz
    FSB Speed: 1400 MHz
    CPU Core voltage: 1.4000 v set, 1.36 v reported in BIOS 'System Monitor'
    page
    ** Stable with Orthos 'Blend'
    _____

    CPU Speed: 3.33 GHz
    FSB Speed: 1480 MHz
    CPU Core voltage: 1.51250 v set, 1.48 v reported in BIOS 'System Monitor'
    page
    ** Halts with Orthos 'Blend' when CPU temperature passes ~ 65 C
    _____

    CPU Speed: 3.375 GHz
    FSB Speed: 1500 MHz
    CPU Core voltage: 1.54375 v set, 1.50 v reported in BIOS 'System Monitor'
    page
    **** Halts with Orthos 'Blend' when CPU temperature passes ~ 65 C
    _____
    _____

    When higher CPU speeds are selected, keeping the CPU Core voltage set at
    1.54375 v the system hangs either during 'Loading personal preferences' or
    during Windows boot up, or the BIOS POST fails.

    For the particular E4300 I have, 2.7 GHz at 1.2500 v Core voltage set, 1.21
    v reported seems to be the sweet spot. Better than stock cooling would be
    necessary for 3.15 GHz and above, possibly water cooling. Since an E6600
    with air cooling would cost less than an E4300 with water cooling, that
    might be better bang for the buck. At any rate, I will install water
    cooling just to see what benefit that offers.

    An E4300 with a lower default CPU Core voltage than mine (1.3250 v) could be
    a better overclocker with stock cooling.

    Below are two sets of memory benchmarks from SiSoft Sandra Lite
    2007.5.11.35.
    ____________________________________

    SiSoft Sandra Lite version 2007.5.11.35
    FSB: 1200 MHz
    CPU: 2.7 GHz
    Memory Bus: 600 MHz
    CPU Clock : Memory Clock rato 1:1
    Memory Timings: 3-3-3-8 1T

    Memory Latency Benchmark
    Random
    Access: 80 ns
    Speed Factor 71.0
    64 MByte Range: 79.6 ns (214.9 clocks)

    Linear
    Access: 11 ns
    Speed Factor: 9.5
    64 MByte Range: 10,7 ns, 29.0 clocks)

    Memory Bandwidth Benchmark
    Integer Buffered iSSE2: 6009 MB/sec
    Float Buffered iSSE2: 5996 MB/sec
    Bandwidth Efficiency: 63%
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth: 9600 MB/sec

    Cache and Memory Benchmark
    Combined Index: 17033 MB/sec
    Speed Factor: 52.2

    _____________________________________

    SiSoft Sandra Lite version 2007.5.11.35
    FSB: 1200 MHz
    CPU: 2.7 GHz
    Memory Bus: 1200 MHz
    CPU Clock : Memory Clock ratio 1:2
    Memory Timings: 3-3-3-8 2T

    Memory Latency Benchmark (lower is better)
    Random
    Access: 65 ns
    Speed Factor 57.3
    64 MByte Range: 64.8 ns, (174.9 clocks)

    Linear
    Access: 10 ns
    Speed Factor: 8.5
    64 MByte Range: 9.5 ns, 25.7 clocks)
    __

    Memory Bandwidth Benchmark (higher is better)
    Integer Buffered iSSE2: 6503 MB/sec
    Float Buffered iSSE2: 6498 MB/sec
    Bandwidth Efficiency: 68%
    Maximum Bus Bandwidth: 9600 MB/sec
    __

    Cache and Memory Benchmark
    Combined Index: 20574 MB/sec (higher is better)
    Speed Factor: 33.1 (lower is better)
    _____
    _____

    The Memory timings of 3 - 3 -3 - 8 are too agressive at 1200 MHz Memory Bus
    (1:2 CPU Clock : Memory Clock ratio), but I did manage to run the
    benchmarks. The results do show an advantage for running memory at higher
    speeds.

    nTune continues to be fairly useless, Nvidia Monitor reports only a fraction
    of the information reported by the BIOS 'System Monitor' page. I have had
    some success using CPUCool, Wolfram Podien who produces CPUCool has made
    some recent (last two days) that allow correct reporting of
    CPU Frequency

    CPU Temperature

    System (board) Temperature

    Chipset (MCP) Temperature

    CPU Fan: 1795 RPM (same value as reported by Nvidia Monitor)

    CPU Core Voltage

    + 3.3 V

    + 5 V is reported incorrectly

    + 12 V is reported incorrectly

    The BIOS 'System Monitor' page reports four fans that CPUCool (modified)
    does not:

    AUX Fan

    nForce Fan

    Chassis Fan

    Chassis Fan 2.

    The BIOS 'System Monitor' page reports four voltages that CPUCool (modified)
    does not:

    CPU FSB voltage

    Memory voltage

    + 3.3 Dual

    Vbat.

    The difficulty in reporting is that the nVidia 680i reference motherboards
    use the Winbond W83627DHG IO/system monitor chip and Winbond does not have
    the data sheet on its website. You can request a W83627DHG data sheet, but
    so far, after a week, I have received no reply.

    Phil Weldon

    Phil Weldon, May 13, 2007