    it hummed. THEN unplugged it from the PC and plugged into my iPod and no
    hum, perfectly clear.. I'm stumped here, can't be a power issue since I'm
    sure the E520 has more juice then the iPod, any ideas???

    Paul, Nov 18, 2007

  2. Paul

    Ron Hardin Guest

    It's a ground loop. Put an isolation transformer in the audio lines.

    Radio Shack 270-054 works. I have a half dozen of them installed here
    and there amid digital devices and audio mixers.

    (Physically the difference in ``ground'' levels in various devices,
    particually if not powered off the same mains power, shares a current
    path down the ground shield with the audio circuit, and so you share
    some AC hum in the audio channel. An isolation transformer cuts the
    DC ground path.)

    Ron Hardin, Nov 18, 2007

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    Thanks Ron,

    Ground loop it was, you'll never guess what the fix was, I used one of those
    3 prong reduced to a 2 prong adapters on the power cord to the PC and the
    hum is gone... Guess that interupted the loop..

    Paul, Nov 22, 2007
  4. Not sure that I would want to be running my computer without an earth line
    considering it has a metal case.Just seems like a good way to get zapped.

    Robert McMillan, Nov 22, 2007
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    I know, not finished trying to resolve my hum, I hate the thoughts of not
    having the PC grounded BUT here's a strange twist... I actually put the 3
    to 2 adapter on my power surge protector to my PC and other components for
    my PC and the humming stopped, for the heck of it I took the 3to2 adapter
    and switched to where the PC plugged into the surge suppressor and the
    humming came back?? Now I figured the ground loop problem was between the
    PC and Stereo receiver? Why doesn't interrupting the loop between the PC
    and Receiver not enough, I'm really stumped now...

    Paul, Nov 22, 2007