E5400 fan+heatsink

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Oct 25, 2013.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I replaced the fan+heatsink K436N in my E5400
    owing to squealing and rough running fan.

    Very easy, 5 screws and a fan power plug, but
    the instructions I could find said to unscrew the
    screws in numbered order, marked on the heatsink;

    and then to screw them back in in numbered order
    on the new one.

    The question is, what numbered order? They can't
    both be correct. One has to be backwards.

    The heatsink comes with a patch of solid goo over
    the chips it's supposed to cool, and the screws
    are spring loaded to apply the right pressure when
    fully tightened, so some thought goes into the
    design.

    Maybe the order doesn't matter wrt forwards or
    backwards, just that one side doesn't get done
    before the other, which happens either way.

    Ron Hardin, Oct 25, 2013

  2. Ron Hardin

    GTS-NJ Guest

    The exact sequence is not at all critical. The only concern is to do it
    evenly.

    GTS-NJ, Oct 26, 2013