E5400 monitor

Discussion in 'Dell' started by Ron Hardin, Nov 27, 2012.

  1. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    I ordered a new display for my Latitude E5400, which apparently had a
    flourescent light burnout in the display (though you can bounce light off
    the screen and dimly see what it's doing).

    The question now is whether to let it keep running as a CPU server since
    it's been working fine, or shut it down and hope that the new screen fixes
    it and it comes back up.

    It's been working continuously for ...

    $ rsh E5400 uptime.sh
    waiting for command in /tmp/zwaited.14.sh Sat Oct 13 13:07:35 EDT 2012
    command in /tmp/zwaited.14.sh Tue Nov 27 13:38:07 EST 2012 found
    + uptime.sh
    uptime 203:16:50:31 17599831 seconds 204 days ago at 20:47:36
    /tmp/zwaited.14.sh COMPLETED Tue Nov 27 13:38:07 EST 2012

    .... 204 days nonstop, and is toiling away even now.

    I feed it jobs from a queue on my trusty main computer, an Inspiron 1200.

    I don't have to see its display at all, so long as it's working.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 27, 2012

  2. Ron Hardin

    Rajath N Guest

    Hi Ron,

    You can keep the laptop running without replacing the screen if you d
    not need a display to check the tasks performed by it. You can als
    connect a monitor to the VGA port and obtain the display on an externa
    monitor if required. You have to use “Windows”
    “P” in Windows 7 or use “Fn” + “F8&#8221
    in other operating systems to toggle between the displays

    Rajath N, Nov 28, 2012

  3. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    It's XP pro without any dell software except drivers (eg no quickset).
    I thought quickset did the monitor switching function, not XP specifically.

    I was going to try relying on bouncing light off the screen in an emergency,
    which may be enough to figure out what it wants, or perhaps not. I see a dim
    image a small part at a time then.

    The display is supposed to be easy to replace however, on an E5400.

    I suppose I'll set the new one aside until the power goes off sometime this winter.

    Ron Hardin, Nov 29, 2012
  4. Ron Hardin

    Michael Arm Guest

    For routine monitoring, you can use remote desktop depending on the
    version of OS
    Mike

    Michael Arm, Nov 29, 2012
  5. Ron Hardin

    Rajath N Guest

    Hi Ron

    The “Fn” + “F8” key combination should wor
    without QuickSet in Windows XP Professional or use remote Desktop a
    suggested by Mike

    Rajath N, Nov 30, 2012