ECC memory on a Gigabyte super socket 7 GA-5AA freezes computer.

Discussion in 'Gigabyte' started by John, Jan 11, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Hi,

    Have a Gigabyte GA-5AA mobo with a AMD K6-3 processor and one 128 MB Kingston ECC memory-module.

    The Aladdin 5 chipset supports ECC memory.

    I can set "Parity Check" in "BIOS FEATURES SETUP" enabled/disabled.
    And I can set "DRAM Data Integrity Mode" in "CHIPSET FEATURES SETUP" to Parity or ECC.

    Only when I disable "Parity Check" the booting goes normal.
    When I enable "Parity Check" and set the mode to Parity or ECC, the booting freezes after testing memory but
    before initializing PCI-devices etc. with "PARITY ERROR, SYSTEM HALTED".

    I tried all kinds of BIOS-settings but to no avail. Nothing overclocked. The last BIOS-update.

    Anybody any idea? Thanks in advance.

    John

    John, Jan 11, 2004

  2. John

    Eric Wolfe Guest

    It sounds like you could really have a parity error. Have you run MEMTEST
    86 against the memory? Did you recently acquire this RAM? Do you have a
    specialized application that really demands ECC memory?

    Eric

    booting freezes after testing memory but

    Eric Wolfe, Feb 20, 2004

  3. John

    wayne Guest

    are you sure it is ECC memory?
    Usually you can tell by an odd or even number of chips on the board?

    Wayne

    wayne, Feb 20, 2004
  4. John

    MaXiLeeCH Guest

    From memory,
    The ECC implementation of these boards (Actually, the chipset) was flawed,
    as such, it is not recomaneded to use ECC RAM in a board with the alladin
    chipset.
    (And in my opinion, its a waste of time and money anyways with such a low
    performance chipset.)

    Jeff C.

    MaXiLeeCH, Feb 21, 2004