ECC vs. Non-ECC Memory -- Can they be mixed (in separate slots)?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Steven O., Jan 8, 2005.

  1. Steven O.

    Steven O. Guest

    I am upgrading a computer that uses RDRAM (Rambus) memory. One pair
    of slots on the motherboard is filled, and I have found matching RDRAM
    on E-bay. The only thing is, I'm not sure whether what it's the
    computer now is Error-Corrrecting, and also not sure if the chips I
    want to buy are error correcting.

    Assuming everything else matches (same bus speed and refresh rate), is
    it okay to have one pair of memory chips that are error-correcting,
    and another pair that are not? Would the motherboard care either way?

    (My best guess is that the current configuration is probably not
    error-correcting, so then the question would be, is it okay to add a
    second pair of memory chips that are error correcting?)

    Thanks in advance for all replies.

    Steve O.

    "Spying On The College Of Your Choice" -- How to pick the college that is the Best Match for a high school student's needs.
    www.SpyingOnTheCollegeOfYourChoice.com

    Steven O., Jan 8, 2005

  2. Steven O.

    Tony Hill Guest

    Generally speaking, unless they are sold as ECC memory, they probably
    aren't.
    Unfortunately the answer here is "maybe".

    It could go either way. Some boards will work with mixed ECC and
    non-ECC memory (the board would simply treat all memory as if it were
    non-ECC stuff), some will not.

    On most boards I would guess that you would have about a 50% chance of
    it working, maybe a bit better, but RDRAM is a whole different beast.
    I don't have enough experience with RDRAM to say for sure if you're
    chances are better or worse than with more standard memory types.

    Hmm..
    Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like a porn site?! :>

    Tony Hill, Jan 10, 2005

  3. Steven O.

    keith Guest

    Was there non-ECC RDRAM sold? Really?

    keith, Jan 11, 2005
  4. Steven O.

    daytripper Guest

    daytripper, Jan 11, 2005
  5. Steven O.

    keith Guest

    keith, Jan 11, 2005
  6. Steven O.

    Tony Hill Guest

    Yup. In fact, it was rather common. I don't know of any exact
    figures, but I would throw out a guess that at least half of all the
    RDRAM systems I came across uses non-ECC RDRAM.

    If you can save a buck...

    Tony Hill, Jan 11, 2005
  7. Steven O.

    keith Guest

    Amazing, since it didn't work worth crap.
    ....why would you even venture into RDRAM? Oh, I forgot, because I$ (and
    JC) said is was wunnerful.

    keith, Jan 12, 2005