    has had good experience with other laptop/tvs. Don't even mention
    Dell. I cannot hear that name without my blood pressure making the
    mercury pop the cuff.

    mutefan, Jun 19, 2007

  2. mutefan

    cmdrdata Guest

    Just a suggestion: get the laptop you want, and make sure it has at
    least
    USB2.0. Then get yourself a small USB HDTV Tuner stick. It is small,
    USB
    port powered, about the size of a those USB memory dongle and
    when you receive HDTV signal, the picture is as clear and pretty much
    "snow free", unlike typical analog TV tuner.

    cmdrdata, Jun 19, 2007

  3. mutefan

    me Guest

    any model you advise getting?

    me, Jun 19, 2007
  4. mutefan

    mutefan Guest

    I have a ThinkPad from 2004. A computer guy told me today that to buy
    a laptop specifically for television-related capabilities is like
    buying a Compaq or HP ten years ago for voice-recognition
    capabilities. He said even a Core 2 Duo's processors would fry if you
    tried to watch Must See TV for three hours, and that crashes of brand
    new $K+++ systems should be expected. He also said the instabilities
    in Vista Premium or whatever are so great that only an idiot would
    dive into a market where the general public's confusion over core duo,
    dual core, Core 2 Duo, and apple cores :() is responsible for the
    current industry-wide sales.

    So I'll buy a tuner, see if my XP SP2 doesn't crash, and watch the
    occasional episode of CSI. I suppose we're not in space the final
    frontier yet.

    mutefan, Jun 19, 2007
  5. You don't want a built-in tuner unless it's triple mode (NTSC/ATSC/QAM).
    Otherwise, it will be obsolete in early 2009.

    Barry Watzman, Jun 21, 2007