ECS 848P-A7 No Boot

Discussion in 'ECS' started by ref21421, Dec 12, 2005.

  1. ref21421

    ref21421 Guest

    Have an ECS 848P-A7 V1.0 (socket 775) Mother Board with Pentium 520 CPU
    that will not run the Power On Self Test (POST), or allow me to edit the
    BIOS configuration. When I power up from the front panel switch, the
    monitor resets, the Hard drives spin up and lights flash on and off,
    then nothing. No monitor progress display, no beeps. Nothing.

    Does not respond to DELETE key to update the BIOS config, and resetting
    the CMOS by removing the CMOS battery or the RESET_CMOS jumper has no
    effect.

    Slimmed the system down to the Motherboard (removed from the case),
    power supply (verified OK with VOM), and P4 CPU. Still does not POST.

    Sent the MB back to ECS warranty repair depot. They reported "no problem
    found" and shipped the same MB back to me.

    Reassembled the system, and it worked OK for about 3 days, then the
    system would occasionally only boot in Safe Mode, and now today has
    failed again with the same symptoms (Monitor resets on powerup, HD spins
    up, HD light comes on, goes off, then nothing).

    Installed HMonitor yesterday and it reported a Vcore of 1.26-1.3 VDC. Is
    that an acceptable voltage for a Pentium 520 CPU? Where is the voltage
    regulator for Vcore - on the MB or in the Pentium chip??

    Short of turning the F...ing thing over to the "Geek Squad", and more
    suggestions?

    ref21421, Dec 12, 2005